Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First portfolio
(12-22-2021, 08:07 AM)cemanuel Wrote: "This gal was precuring Federal grants for the city of Dixon, IL without their knowledge, then diverting the funds."

Took a look at her Wikipedia page. Crazy. Though she wasn't using the horse business to carry out what she was doing; it was where the money went (from what I read). I was thinking more of the background reason for calling carriers of illegal goods "mules" and all of the fun ways to use horses to transport, er, cargo. That and there's all the less obvious things like nerving/doping a horse, having a buyer use your recommended vet for the vet check, blah, blah, blah. That was one swashbuckling sort of business.
It was over the top and went on for years.  She was just laundering huge money right under their noses. I think she was out of town and an office assistant found a ledger with money skirting around the city's accounts.  She was just funding a fantasy hobby and hobnobbing with the elite in the business who would fly in an buy horses.  It was pled down to odd charges and they knew she would be old when released.  They held an auction and recovered nowhere near all of the money.  When the money is free you don't have to be great at purchasing at the correct price for resale.
I have another question for you guys, would it be beneficial to own a large, mid, and small cap ETF? for example own VOO, VO, and VB? Iḿ trying to invest my cash to beat inflation.
I had a large position in the SP500 and the Russell 2000 for most of my investing career. IWM is a good Russell ETF. Small Cap indexes are actually undervalued as an index now. Doesn't mean they won't drop more in an overall market correction but they look safer than most indexes that are so overweighted by the same six or so stocks.

I don't recommend a new investor buy individual small caps. 2021 was a lesson in how hard they can drop.
(12-26-2021, 12:08 PM)deserttrd4x Wrote: I have another question for you guys, would it be beneficial to own a large, mid, and small cap ETF? for example own VOO, VO, and VB? Iḿ trying to invest my cash to beat inflation.

Nothing wrong with this. Diversification always offers a certain degree of protection and over the long term I think this sort of a plan should definitely beat inflation. If your goal is to beat inflation then maintain a long term view on things. Right now inflation is hot as hell and may be difficult to match but this won't last forever.