Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Christmas Picks for Kids portfolios...
Each year, Dad kicks some bucks over to the kids to let them invest.  Its been a successful exercise for a few years now.  Usually the kids will ask me, "Dad, what do you think I should invest in" to which I usually have a few stocks on the top of my head.

Anyone care to suggest several of their current favorite picks for this Christmas?
I am all about buying the names Kids know. DIS, AAPL, NKE, HAS, MCD or FB

Names kids can get excited about and see everyday Smile
(12-15-2021, 12:59 PM)macbolan Wrote: Each year, Dad kicks some bucks over to the kids to let them invest.  Its been a successful exercise for a few years now.  Usually the kids will ask me, "Dad, what do you think I should invest in" to which I usually have a few stocks on the top of my head.

Anyone care to suggest several of their current favorite picks for this Christmas?

Welcome to the forum and love the tradition GPA is starting.  Stick with something they find interest in that isn't overpriced too much.  Maybe ATVI for a gamer stock?   Or a restaurant they can visit?  Some of them are down and should be fine in 2022 when the latest Covid surge fades.  I would avoid anything retail.
(12-15-2021, 01:16 PM)stockguru Wrote: I am all about buying the names Kids know. DIS, AAPL, NKE, HAS, MCD or FB

Names kids can get excited about and see everyday Smile

I think this is indeed the way to go. 
Just get something which fits two criteria:
good quality
and the kids actually USE their services/products.

I think those are the two most important factors here, even more important than things such as valuation. The point here is not to buy the best performer of the next decade, the point here is to make the little ones interested in investing.

It really depends on the age of the kids in question: DIS, HAS, or MCD might be great for the little ones. 
More towards the 10 years + age group? tech stuff? AAPL if they do use iphones. Maybe google if they are on android?  Have to mention U here for anyone who enjoys gaming. Maybe MSFT or SONY if they have a strong preference for x-box / playstation?
I haven't looked into how to open an E*Trade account on behalf of my daughter. I should learn.
(12-16-2021, 01:55 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: I haven't looked into how to open an E*Trade account on behalf of my daughter.  I should learn.
Most brokerages make it simple and even allow partial shares so you can build a port with a small investment.  If she is a minor it will be an account you can flip to a normal one later.  Schwab is very friendly as well as others.  The upside to a different broker than your own is access to free and different research analysts as they are all married to somebody different.
(12-16-2021, 01:55 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: I haven't looked into how to open an E*Trade account on behalf of my daughter.  I should learn.

Couldn't be easier. I just opened one.

--please note the link below includes a referral--
Go here: https://refer.etrade.net/8opj9yq

I transferred a number of stocks from Fidelity when I opened my Etrade account and the process was incredibly seamless and easy. No cumbersome forms to download and scan.
(12-17-2021, 07:27 PM)kolpin Wrote:

I transferred a number of stocks from Fidelity when I opened my Etrade account and the process was incredibly seamless and easy. No cumbersome forms to download and scan.

Hey kolpin!  Good to see you here!

As a fellow SA refugee, I am likiing it here, especially the View New Posts link near the top of the page
(12-17-2021, 07:30 PM)rnsmth Wrote:

Hey kolpin!  Good to see you here!

As a fellow SA refugee, I am likiing it here, especially the View New Posts link near the top of the page
Try the "Todays Posts" as well.  You will see the usefulness after you try it.

--please note the link below includes a referral--

Okay yeah, I just go to "Open account" and choose "Custodial account".  Cool.
Re: Christmas Picks for Kids -- MSFT .. TXN .. SHW .. SPGI .. NKE ... double-doubles. And AAPL.

Non-dividend payers -- SHOP .. NET .. ISRG.
(12-15-2021, 01:26 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(12-15-2021, 12:59 PM)macbolan Wrote: Each year, Dad kicks some bucks over to the kids to let them invest.  Its been a successful exercise for a few years now.  Usually the kids will ask me, "Dad, what do you think I should invest in" to which I usually have a few stocks on the top of my head.

Welcome to the forum and love the tradition GPA is starting.  Stick with something they find interest in that isn't overpriced too much.  Maybe ATVI for a gamer stock?   Or a restaurant they can visit?  Some of them are down and should be fine in 2022 when the latest Covid surge fades.  I would avoid anything retail.

The Music and Entertainment business of SONY should have resonance with kids, numbers look good but not a drip play.