Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So what is your favorite stock that is getting murdered right now?
Trading is fun but I would never be comfortable doing much unless I was attentive to the market which requires a lot if time. It's easier when the market trends up of course. You can make a lot of money when there is volatility but when a high valuation stock meets a years long bear market you better be gone. A solid longterm port is certainly less complicated.
(12-16-2021, 06:27 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Trading is fun but I would never be comfortable doing much unless I was attentive to the market which requires a lot if time.  It's easier when the market trends up of course.  You can make a lot of money when there is volatility but when a high valuation stock meets a years long bear market you better be gone.  A solid longterm port is certainly less complicated.

At the time I thought I needed to raise my net worth so I was pretty aggressive. Did pretty well but it does take time. Once I found I had enough I went away from that. I have a chart of my trades by month since I started. Pretty interesting. I'll post it some time.
None of them are cutting dividends, which is my definition of getting murdered, I suppose..

So, none of them
I think I will feel more comfortable in retirement holding a few ETFs and quality stocks. If an opportunity to trim or add presents itself then great. I usually do that by selling a put or call though. It's a good income source if I confine myself to stocks I truly desire to own longterm. I don't stray from that with more than a small part of my port. That eliminates a lot of great trading stocks though.

2020 was a good example. Many of those new stocks rose 2 to 4X in six months. Many of them are now down 75% and probably at fair value. There was no way I was going to get caught holding a significant position. That's how you bust a port, especially if you add some margin or options. They were great trades though.
(12-15-2021, 04:18 PM)fenders53 Wrote: CELH-  And WTH is wrong with you Crimson?  I do expect you to get me back for that comment.  Smile      

I'm wondering.
Now that this has climbed roughly 15% in a week.
Is this an appropriate time to get back at you for that comment?   Tongue

(and for the record, usually it has been a good idea to start dumping around these levels. With CELH it has usually worked pretty well to get in in the low $60s and then dump it in the low $70s. It'll go back to the low $60s again sooner or later. )
(12-22-2021, 08:31 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote:
(12-15-2021, 04:18 PM)fenders53 Wrote: CELH-  And WTH is wrong with you Crimson?  I do expect you to get me back for that comment.  Smile      

I'm wondering.
Now that this has climbed roughly 15% in a week.
Is this an appropriate time to get back at you for that comment?   Tongue

(and for the record, usually it has been a good idea to start dumping around these levels. With CELH it has usually worked pretty well to get in in the low $60s and then dump it in the low $70s. It'll go back to the low $60s again sooner or later. )
You are back to genius status lol.   

I am surviving this very well overall but my solar is still down hard.  Some form of that climate change laws thing will be necessary to save me anytime soon.
TGT was up so high for me earlier this year; now it's almost back to break even. Sob sob.
(12-22-2021, 07:20 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: TGT was up so high for me earlier this year; now it's almost back to break even.  Sob sob.
I bailed on most of my retail awhile ago.  Not because they aren't great companies.  TGT isn't even at an overvalued PE ratio.  They need some more government money to keep knocking the lights out.  That debate is dead for now but the economy will be juiced some more, some how some way.
(12-22-2021, 07:20 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: TGT was up so high for me earlier this year; now it's almost back to break even. Sob sob.

Learn to love trailing stops.
(12-22-2021, 11:10 PM)NilesMike Wrote:
(12-22-2021, 07:20 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: TGT was up so high for me earlier this year; now it's almost back to break even.  Sob sob.

Learn to love trailing stops.
I think that's something I need to learn in 2022; when to use 'em, when not to.
If you are going to use them, you wait until is up and overvalued. Otherwise you are just short-term trading and near as I can tell that's not working for you.

Once you build larger positions, adding a bit on the dips and trimming the rips might fit your personality better. I know if often lowers my basis over time. Something has to be core positions so you just ride it out. TGT will be fine longterm.
It's definitely not working for me Smile

NAIL had soared as high as $110, and I got stopped out at $82 and never went back in. It went as low as $60, but look at it today; $112. I would have done just fine sticking with it, as the narrative around new home building and home improvement remains strong. At least I still have HD and SHW.

I definitely want TGT to remain a core position. I like the idea of trimming the higher priced shares occasionally.