Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From SA finding new sites
Hi all,
I see that many of the SA Chit Chat folks have been migrating out here, so I have moved as well. I value the many things i have learned just reading through the various comments and responses folks have graciously given. Been learning DGI since about 2012-2014 as it really fits my personality and goals. I'm still working but plan on retiring in April 2022. The main goal for the portfolio is to provide on-going stream of money for my wife and myself to live on while enjoying the rest of our lives. We are going to split time between La Quinta, CA (low desert) and Big Bear City, CA (high mountains)... depending upon the weather to choose which we are at.  I started this DGI journey cashing in company grant options (AVD) which i converted to more traditional DGI companies. Also rolled over 401K investments that I have been making since the 90's (with company matching). I have about 46 companies & SCHD in the portfolio approximately equal dollars in taxable & IRA: Top 10 by value currently are (& %of total portfolio):
AAPL 3.4%
SBUX 3.1%
AMGN 3.1%
PRU 3.0%
VZ 2.9%
SCHD 2.9%
GD 2.9%
LMT 2.8%
MRK 2.8%

I will look forward to participating more as I transition into having a bit more time for myself next year.!
Kevin
(12-13-2021, 06:07 PM)Bugdoc82 Wrote: Hi all,
I see that many of the SA Chit Chat folks have been migrating out here, so I have moved as well. I value the many things i have learned just reading through the various comments and responses folks have graciously given. Been learning DGI since about 2012-2014 as it really fits my personality and goals. I'm still working but plan on retiring in April 2022. The main goal for the portfolio is to provide on-going stream of money for my wife and myself to live on while enjoying the rest of our lives. We are going to split time between La Quinta, CA (low desert) and Big Bear City, CA (high mountains)... depending upon the weather to choose which we are at.  I started this DGI journey cashing in company grant options (AVD) which i converted to more traditional DGI companies. Also rolled over 401K investments that I have been making since the 90's (with company matching). I have about 46 companies & SCHD in the portfolio approximately equal dollars in taxable & IRA: Top 10 by value currently are (& %of total portfolio):
AAPL 3.4%
SBUX 3.1%
AMGN 3.1%
PRU 3.0%
VZ 2.9%
SCHD 2.9%
GD 2.9%
LMT 2.8%
MRK 2.8%

I will look forward to participating more as I transition into having a bit more time for myself next year.!
Kevin

Hi Kevin.  Good to see folks from the SA DGR Chit Chat blog showing up here!
Welcome to the board, Kevin!
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your upcoming retirement.
Welcome! Great to have you here.
Congrats on the retirement! Think i know who you are. Come April we may have to chat about the joys or boredom - or both - of retirement. I was at a Conference last Tuesday, talking to another person who's retiring who said, "I was told not to retire in the middle of the winter. Nothing to do."

Fortunately I have an IRA rollover to plan so I know how I'll spend at least some of my time.
(12-14-2021, 05:10 AM)cemanuel Wrote: Congrats on the retirement! Think i know who you are. Come April we may have to chat about the joys or boredom - or both - of retirement. I was at a Conference last Tuesday, talking to another person who's retiring who said, "I was told not to retire in the middle of the winter. Nothing to do."

Fortunately I have an IRA rollover to plan so I know how I'll spend at least some of my time.

Thanks, I am looking to end one rat race and begin a new chapter. I will have a rollover in April as well. Won't be as large as the last one, but still in the 50+K range. along with my last set of options I definitely will have fun doing that!
Welcome Kevin! (Though I may have trouble calling you anything other than BugDoc -- nice username!)

I'm not officially retired, but I did join the Great Resignation in August. If the market and my dividends cooperate, I may not have to go back to work, but that feels unlikely at the moment. Otherwise, I guess I'm just borrowing a bit of retirement time to enjoy early.