Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Talk me off the ledge
(12-09-2021, 11:10 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(12-09-2021, 11:04 AM)Kerim Wrote:
(12-08-2021, 04:53 PM)DividendGarden Wrote: Thanks, everyone.  I guess I'm somewhere in the middle now, but still feel it's too cheap to ignore, even if earnings decline from here.

Yeah, I'm with you -- not going bananas, but continuing to build my position. My time horizon is long.
Your internet friends will not always agree with you DG, but I do have some trust in their opinions.  This is usually when I average in just in case I am wrong.  Big Grin    It probably works out some over a long period of time.

Agreed.  I don't do anything crazy, but I'll continue to add VIAC for a while.
(12-09-2021, 12:33 PM)DividendGarden Wrote:
(12-09-2021, 11:10 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(12-09-2021, 11:04 AM)Kerim Wrote:
(12-08-2021, 04:53 PM)DividendGarden Wrote: Thanks, everyone.  I guess I'm somewhere in the middle now, but still feel it's too cheap to ignore, even if earnings decline from here.

Yeah, I'm with you -- not going bananas, but continuing to build my position. My time horizon is long.
Your internet friends will not always agree with you DG, but I do have some trust in their opinions.  This is usually when I average in just in case I am wrong.  Big Grin    It probably works out some over a long period of time.

Agreed.  I don't do anything crazy, but I'll continue to add VIAC for a while.
There will come a time when some pick the bottom correctly and make more money in months than longs who held it five years. If you are holding it forever then just try to add when there is some margin of safety based on medium term improvement in company performance.
I'm not sure how much "safer" this one can get -- but we'll find out!
(12-09-2021, 01:41 PM)Kerim Wrote: I'm not sure how much "safer" this one can get -- but we'll find out!
The declining revenue seems to be ignored as if it is guaranteed to go away sometime soon.  Maybe it will?  Falling SP and rising dividends are the "Venus Fly Trap" to dividend investors every time.  I don't need to list tickers or sector examples because we have all owned them or still do.  I'll be fine with hearing you guys saying I told you so if this is the bottom.  DG asked for an opinion and a few of us offered one.
(12-09-2021, 01:50 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(12-09-2021, 01:41 PM)Kerim Wrote: I'm not sure how much "safer" this one can get -- but we'll find out!
The declining revenue seems to be ignored as if it is guaranteed to go away sometime soon.  Maybe it will?  Falling SP and rising dividends are the "Venus Fly Trap" to dividend investors every time.  I don't need to list tickers or sector examples because we have all owned them or still do.  I'll be fine with hearing you guys saying I told you so if this is the bottom.  DG asked for an opinion and a few of us offered one.

I've got no ill-will about this discussion at all! Investing is inherently risky, and only hindsight offers concrete assurance.

That said, can you offer more thoughts as to why exactly you think its revues will decline terminally? EPS data before the end of 2019 is hard to factor because of the merger, so we don't have a lot of "pure" data to work with. But VIAC earned $3.86 per share in 2020, and is on target to meet or exceed that by a bit for 2021. It is still working through the merger, and is still shaking off the Archegos debacle. But its streaming subscriber numbers are on the rise and those big issues are in the rear view mirror. Clearly, none of this is a case for gangbusters performance or EPS growth going forward. But why exactly are folks so convinced that earnings are going to decline from here? At 6 or 7 times earnings and a well-covered dividend, it doesn't take much upside to do well.

I get that most people on the thread (and in the market, apparently) agree with you -- otherwise it wouldn't be so cheap. But I clearly need a deeper understanding.

Fenders, earlier in the thread you mentioned projections for negative revenue growth for VIAC -- can you point me to this?
The analysts projected 3 year CAGR on my brokerage account. CFRA projects -4% three year EPS growth. I just opened a Schwab account so I will get more opinions tonight. They are just projections of course but negative Revs is a bad vibe. What did management say on last conference call? That is is equally important IMO. Mature companies tend to be honest or intentionally project somewhat conservatively as the penalty for missing by much is high.
Great morning for VIAC today! I'm not seeing any news or catalyst other than some WFC advisors warming to VIAC's potential. Any other ideas what going on?
(01-03-2022, 11:49 AM)Kerim Wrote: Great morning for VIAC today! I'm not seeing any news or catalyst other than some WFC advisors warming to VIAC's potential. Any other ideas what going on?

Just a dead cat bounce.  You better sell today.  Big Grin

Just kidding, but I'll have to keep an eye on them now that I disrespected them.  I have seen analyst and broker chatter the past few months saying the risk reward was now favorable in their opinion.
Another big day for VIAC. Up 8 percent on barely any news? Hard to believe selling the CW Network could generate such a bump, especially since that was announced a couple of days ago. Or maybe it is some kind of halo effect from T's resurgence....?
Market is expecting industry deals, and dividends are finally back in style. At least for now.