Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What I Am Buying Today.
(10-15-2021, 02:00 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Still reducing the number of tickers in my port before I retire.  Trying to stay with high conviction plays and the rest in index ETFs.  Sold most of my tobacco today while I still had a good profit.  Dumped some of my small positions.  Getting close to where I want to be and my yield traps are all gone now.  I can always add more tickers if that happens in the course of selling puts.  More cash then I have ever had but I am sitting on a nice lead for 2021 and I'll find a home for it soon enough.

congratulations fenders....fine tuning before retiring...getting close!
(10-17-2021, 09:40 PM)rayray Wrote:
(10-15-2021, 02:00 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Still reducing the number of tickers in my port before I retire.  Trying to stay with high conviction plays and the rest in index ETFs.  Sold most of my tobacco today while I still had a good profit.  Dumped some of my small positions.  Getting close to where I want to be and my yield traps are all gone now.  I can always add more tickers if that happens in the course of selling puts.  More cash then I have ever had but I am sitting on a nice lead for 2021 and I'll find a home for it soon enough.

congratulations fenders....fine tuning before retiring...getting close!

Yes it is a great accomplishment!
Thanks.  Now I just have to get some cash back in the market.  It's obvious earnings will be choppy but probably good overall.  At the very least I need to add to my index ETFs.  I won't be happy if I am sitting on my hands if the year finishes at new highs which would shock nobody.  Sounds kind of like FOMO lol.
(10-18-2021, 07:20 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Thanks.  Now I just have to get some cash back in the market.  It's obvious earnings will be choppy but probably good overall.  At the very least I need to add to my index ETFs.  I won't be happy if I am sitting on my hands if the year finishes at new highs which would shock nobody.  Sounds kind of like FOMO lol.

I was just reading an article last night from September 2020 explaining in detail why the market will crash 40% imminently.  A year later ... nope!  It does feel like since I really started investing last March, there's been articles full of doom & gloom available at any given time.
(10-18-2021, 07:49 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(10-18-2021, 07:20 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Thanks.  Now I just have to get some cash back in the market.  It's obvious earnings will be choppy but probably good overall.  At the very least I need to add to my index ETFs.  I won't be happy if I am sitting on my hands if the year finishes at new highs which would shock nobody.  Sounds kind of like FOMO lol.

I was just reading an article last night from September 2020 explaining in detail why the market will crash 40% imminently.  A year later ... nope!  It does feel like since I really started investing last March, there's been articles full of doom & gloom available at any given time.
Events like the tech bubble or GFC cause that.  It leaves some investor scar tissue until you come up with a new round of investors to help climb the next wall of worry.  I just try to determine if we are in the top or bottom 20% of the valuation band and apply some common sense.  I actually think it is almost always OK to invest in speculative assets.  Your allocation percentage is what makes or breaks you.
closed PNW for a -10% loss. Dividend cut is imminent. Stock is toxic at this point. Will offset the loss against gains.
Added to JNJ. Not a very flashy play, just sticking with the old and reliable.
(10-18-2021, 03:04 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: Added to JNJ. Not a very flashy play, just sticking with the old and reliable.
I just can't buy any more pharma unless it gets absolutely destroyed.  Sold a lot of covered calls and puts today.
(10-18-2021, 06:00 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(10-18-2021, 03:04 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: Added to JNJ. Not a very flashy play, just sticking with the old and reliable.
I just can't buy any more pharma unless it gets absolutely destroyed.  Sold a lot of covered calls and puts today.

Yeah I get that, I know you are pretty heavily in some of those names.
I just really like JNJ. Sure, it's a bit on the expensive side but I think it's pretty much a guaranteed winner over the long-term. And the next couple of years are going to be pretty nice on the earnings side as most countries are busy clearing up the backlog to medical procedures.
JNJ is like a healthcare  ETF.  It would probably take a big market correction to get it much cheaper.  I have too much BMY right now.
JNJ is the stock that introduced me to DGI and led me to this forum. I only have 7 shares now, but I've learned about so many more great DGI stocks since I joined here. My top 2 DGI holdings are BroadCom and Target. I am eagerly awaiting BroadCom's next dividend increase.

I will be further de-leveraging the ROTH today, as I want to add to Tesla, Upstart, Adobie, Nvidia, and others.
Some of those companies are spendy now but if you are killing some leverage that's good.

JNJ best growth years are behind them but it should be a safe place to park some of your less speculative money as long as you only add on dips. It's about like a choppy bond these days but it will give you a 10% annual return now and then and the dividend will grow some. I started my position right after the tech crash. Added up the burning remains of all my computer hardware companies.

I think I'm getting another Tech PTSD flashback again. Smile

I am going to have to FOMO a few ETF index shares today. Just enough to make sure I don't end up paying more for QQQ than the mutual fund I liquidated last month.