Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What I Am Buying Today.
(09-29-2021, 05:17 AM)rayray Wrote: maybe that was my second point...idk...just took a few sips of coffee

Little known fact btw, you are supposed to have a full glass of water in the morning before having that first cup of coffee.
(09-29-2021, 05:17 AM)rayray Wrote:
(09-28-2021, 09:25 PM)fenders53 Wrote: We're shopping like we mean it.  Smile  Really only about the second chance we've had in a year.  The SPAC crash didn't count.  That was mostly way over hyped trading stuff coming back to earth.  Maybe a couple future gems but mostly not.

I hope all of ports get beat up for a week but I doubt it happens.  It's a joke if 10yr treasury rates are the cause.  Most of big tech wouldn't have to borrow a dime unless they choose to.  Utilities do have to finance but a half a point is not that big of a deal.  The good ones grew fine at double these rates.

not to mention, and it's rarely talked about, if rates do go up (slowly cause that's the way they do things), first the rates will still be theoretically at historic lows--it'll take years to raise the rates. and second--i forgot my second point lol...so there's that it's too early lol.

the fed has proved one thing over the last decade or so, they don't do anything to disrupt the market too much, greenspan would say enough is enough and slow things the f/down...now it's don't rock the boat--too much.

maybe that was my second point...idk...just took a few sips of coffee
IMO it works best when FED Chiefs at least act like they aren't afraid of politicians.  I actually think Powell has done a decent job, until about four months ago.  There is absolutely no reason we are 100% as loose as we were 15 months ago.  At some point the market is going to throw a fit and it will get over it sooner or later.  When there is enough liquidity to blow up 100 new IPO bubbles, and meme stock of the week?  And here we are STILL buying $100B a month in bonds?  

The narrative probably changes today.  From rates to the political circus.  I bet todays rally is over before we eat lunch.  Not sure I have a plan today other than to go slow.
I'm still looking to buy into small cap growth stocks that pay a dividend. Anyone got any names ? We talked about this before but no names were given.

BTW I looked into iShares Russell 2000 ETF (IWM) .. But I'm passing on that one since AMC is there top holding lol. How can they invest in that company and be its top holding. Makes no sense.
Bought back that QQQ put I sold yesterday morning. Enough profit to buy lunch at Burger King for me and wifey. Probably the smartest trade I'll make all day. It was only one point out of the money and expires tonight. I'll try again soon with a lower strike.
(09-29-2021, 08:40 AM)kblake Wrote: I'm still looking to buy into small cap growth stocks that pay a dividend. Anyone got any names ? We talked about this before but no names were given.

BTW I looked into iShares Russell 2000 ETF (IWM) .. But I'm passing on that one since AMC is there top holding lol. How can they invest in that company and be its top holding. Makes no sense.

Seriously don't brush off IWM too easily.  It was 60% of my holdings for decades and I retired early.  Do some research on how passive index funds work.  This is a passive fund.  yes it seems stupid AMC is there. It's like 1% of the fund and it will fade away eventually.

I will look up the Value version and update this post in a minute.

EDIT: Something like this. VTWV That's Vanguard but I am sure there are competitors. You are looking for Russell 2000 Value. I will likely be joining you there soon. It back tests well as a decent hedge against large cap growth if we don't get a real correction here.
(09-29-2021, 08:47 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(09-29-2021, 08:40 AM)kblake Wrote: I'm still looking to buy into small cap growth stocks that pay a dividend. Anyone got any names ? We talked about this before but no names were given.

Seriously don't brush off IWM too easily.  It was 60% of my holdings for decades and I retired early.  Do some research on how passive index funds work.  This is a passive fund. 

Well not buying this ETF at these levels after the run it had. Would need a correction to $196 or so. Not a fan of top 10 holdings they have anyway. Most names like CROX, AMC and NTLA all all meme stocks,

I like VBR better
(09-29-2021, 08:53 AM)kblake Wrote:
(09-29-2021, 08:47 AM)fenders53 Wrote:

Seriously don't brush off IWM too easily.  It was 60% of my holdings for decades and I retired early.  Do some research on how passive index funds work.  This is a passive fund. 

Well not buying this ETF at these levels after the run it had. Would need a correction to $196 or so. Not a fan of top 10 holdings they have anyway. Most names like CROX, AMC and NTLA all all meme stocks,

I like VBR better
The top 10 are 5% of the funds holdings.  About the exact opposite of SPY and QQQ make up. They have no control of the index mechanics they track.  Active funds do.  Unfortunately they lose in the end though.  Buy what you are comfortable with. I don't even own it at the moment. It was just a thought.
The forum is my personal blog today lol. Selling my silver before the week is over. I was wrong and it's no longer a hedge against equities. Glad I sold most of it about even. That only happened with option sells. It's been a train wreck if you just did the HODL thing. The last of mine is getting killed now. I'll get rid of a ticker in my port and buy a share of GOOGL or something that will likely outperform it over time.

Anyone making any trades today?
(09-29-2021, 11:36 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Anyone making any trades today?

No but my car is in the shop for a week.  $3,000 of repairs, which is about what I thought it be Sad

Luckily I get my extra paycheck on Friday.
Nope! Patience....Believe the economy will run hot once Covid threat lessens and don’t believe inflationary pressure will last more than 2-3 more quarters.

Many analysts expect another fairly decent 2022 return wise so staying put unless one of my targeted value stocks falls to my price point. Really just keeping track of several high quality BC stocks and waiting for a 52 week low day...

AbbVie is one I have my eyeball on but big concerns over their patent expiring. I’m guessing there will be some panic selling from it in 2022...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(09-29-2021, 12:05 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:

No but my car is in the shop for a week.  $3,000 of repairs, which is about what I thought it be Sad

That's a lot less expensive than risk on trades this week.  Good luck on the repairs.
(09-29-2021, 12:19 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(09-29-2021, 12:05 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:

That's a lot less expensive than risk on trades this week.  Good luck on the repairs.

That's a unique perspective! Smile