Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What I Am Buying Today.
Residential REIT AvalonBay $AVB has failed to increase its dividend for 9 consecutive quarters. It was thus banished from my portfolio (with a 54% gain).

I used the proceeds to buy:
11 $MS @ $94.50
7 $TROW @ $143.48
7 $CCI @ $163.62
2 $OKE @ $62.41
Used pooled dividends to add another share of TROW to my DGI account.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(02-18-2022, 11:00 AM)Dividends from Scratch Wrote: Residential REIT AvalonBay $AVB has failed to increase its dividend for 9 consecutive quarters. It was thus banished from my portfolio (with a 54% gain).

Any idea why? The residential real estate market has been on fire recently, the macro side is absolutely fantastic. (apart from the high inflation numbers)
I don't know the company well but I don't see any reason why they have had to stop those dividend increases.
Trimmed some SO, added to TROW

SO still overweight, TROW now a .75 weight position
Added one share of GOOGL. Still need three more shares. Added back a couples shares of SOXL and TQQQ to my non-retirement account. First time I bought anything this week.
Quote: Any idea why? The residential real estate market has been on fire recently, the macro side is absolutely fantastic. (apart from the high inflation numbers)

No idea. TBH, $EQR and $ESS were also very weak in the dividend growth department. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that they're heavily exposed to coastal regions (and the associated regulatory risks). Sunbelt residential REITs did much better ($CPT for example hiked its dividend 13% a few months ago, and I think $MAA also did well).

Anyway, no more residential REITs for me. They're now very expensive and the yield/growth is too low.
I ain't buying $$ap lol

This market has become a nightmare. No bottom in sight so why bother averaging down, when you can buy lower in 3-6 months

I took a lot out weeks ago and put it into treasury bonds, Utes, Banks, and Oil for now. I in no rush to buy any stocks or sectors right now.

Go look at that 52 week low list. Its huge today Wink
(02-18-2022, 01:28 PM)poneyboy Wrote: I ain't buying $$ap lol

This market has become a nightmare. No bottom in sight so why bother averaging down, when you can buy lower in 3-6 months

I took a lot out weeks ago and put it into treasury bonds, Utes, Banks, and Oil for now. I in no rush to buy any stocks or sectors right now.

Go look at that 52 week low list. Its huge today Wink

Maybe were near a bottom now  Big Grin

When those are fearful that's the best time to buy 

I did a little buying today DG, UNH, DE, DUK, CCI and PEP
He may be down a little more than those of us who already owned those defensive sectors. My crystal ball doesn't tell me when to cash out accurately. The re-entry is even harder to time because most have given up by then.
If you've got cash, dollar cost average in every week/month as you can. You can never time the market, but if you gradually put your money in, you will at some point buy near the bottom.
(02-18-2022, 03:07 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: If you've got cash, dollar cost average in every week/month as you can.  You can never time the market, but if you gradually put your money in, you will at some point buy near the bottom.

And if you don’t have cash like most? I haven’t seen you buy anything  
of late Wink
(02-18-2022, 01:27 PM)Dividends from Scratch Wrote:
Quote: Any idea why? The residential real estate market has been on fire recently, the macro side is absolutely fantastic. (apart from the high inflation numbers)

No idea. TBH, $EQR and $ESS were also very weak in the dividend growth department.  Maybe it has something to do with the fact that they're heavily exposed to coastal regions (and the associated regulatory risks). Sunbelt residential REITs did much better ($CPT for example hiked its dividend 13% a few months ago, and I think $MAA also did well).

Anyway, no more residential REITs for me. They're now very expensive and the yield/growth is too low.

I did some relatively extensive research between ESS, AVB and MAA about a year ago or so. Ended up buying MAA and it's the only one I've followed since then. Their most recent dividend increase was in the 6% range, which is something that I'm ok with. Their results could have warranted a larger raise, but I'm very happy with the "lets take it steady and see" approach.

That is why I was interested in seeing what on earth is going on with AVB, since it was my #2 on the list and I have to say that I did not see them stalling the dividend raises in this environment.