Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What I Am Buying Today.
(09-21-2021, 11:07 AM)Dividends from Scratch Wrote: I did some portfolio recycling today.

Closed $HII (laggard) and $UPS (overvalued, low conviction).

Used the proceeds to initiate $SCHD at $74.43, almost 3% yield (ex-div tomorrow).

Increased PADI from $6,974 to $6,991
HII does look like a great value stock but I understand your frustration as the shares have went sideways for five years unless you traded it.  Value stocks have been out of style for years now, and defense contractor stocks probably have no political catalyst anytime soon.  They are my sleep well stocks though.  It's nice to have some dividend growers with earnings that are almost assured.  It might be years and they will run again but I am hoping sooner.  I think Raytheon may outperform them all the next few years though.  They have about 40% exposure to commercial aviation and that will wake up soon.  Most of the defense stocks do have exposure to the newly revived space programs.  That may not drive big profits but I could see it helping with market sentiment eventually.  

I just went red on LMT a few weeks back.  If I get 10% red I'll add some more.  I own too much to be adding more every time it drops five bucks.  I think I have bought LMT maybe 35 times the past three years.  That's a personal record since way back when I was a kid buying stocks $50 at a time.  Smile
(09-21-2021, 02:41 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 11:07 AM)Dividends from Scratch Wrote: I did some portfolio recycling today.

Used the proceeds to initiate $SCHD at $74.43, almost 3% yield (ex-div tomorrow).

HII does look like a great value stock but I understand your frustration as the shares have went sideways for five years unless you traded it.  Value stocks have been out of style for years now, and defense contractor stocks probably have no political catalyst anytime soon.  They are my sleep well stocks though.  It's nice to have some dividend growers with earnings that are almost assured.  It might be years and they will run again but I am hoping sooner.  I think Raytheon may outperform them all the next few years though.  They have about 40% exposure to commercial aviation and that will wake up soon.  Most of the defense stocks do have exposure to the newly revived space programs.  That may not drive big profits but I could see it helping with market sentiment eventually.  

I just went red on LMT a few weeks back.  If I get 10% red I'll add some more.  I own too much to be adding more every time it drops five bucks.  I think I have bought LMT maybe 35 times the past three years.  That's a personal record since way back when I was a kid buying stocks $50 at a time.  Smile

I think you can buy LMT in that $330-$337 range and you be fine. The upside is far more greater then the downside at these levels. The entire sector has pretty much been out of favor and that's the best time to nibble. Would rather own LMT today then most names out there. 

DIS getting smoked today on a warning. I see that going to $150 soon.
(09-21-2021, 02:59 PM)Mr1share Wrote:

I think you can buy LMT in that $330-$337 range and you be fine. The upside is far more greater then the downside at these levels. The entire sector has pretty much been out of favor and that's the best time to nibble. Would rather own LMT today then most names out there. 

That's my guess too but it's all it is.  Won't surprise me if it goes lower.  Earnings will be fine so it is what it is.

IMO many more warning are coming and in some cases I see the market picking off stocks like somebody knows something.  

... I wanted to re-enter UPS yesterday but FDX has this bad habit of peeing in the transport's punchbowl during their earnings calls so I waited.  I just caught an FDX headline.

... HAS is another I like and they just had a random dip at the close.  Let me guess, supply chain issues for Christmas?
(09-21-2021, 03:31 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 02:59 PM)Mr1share Wrote:

That's my guess too but it's all it is.  Won't surprise me if it goes lower.  Earnings will be fine so it is what it is.

IMO many more warning are coming and in some cases I see the market picking off stocks like somebody knows something.  

... I wanted to re-enter UPS yesterday but FDX has this bad habit of peeing in the transport's punchbowl during their earnings calls so I waited.  I just caught an FDX headline.

... HAS is another I like and they just had a random dip at the close.  Let me guess, supply chain issues for Christmas?

My LMT also went red recently. I think it’s safe at this level but most likely won’t add as the growth prospect seems weak. If it dips under 300 I may consider to add.
I am definitely not bashing LMT at these prices. Almost all the major defense stocks are solid but catching a dip may give you some alpha someday. Until conventional tech stocks hand out some lessons anything value is taking a backseat. Hard to tell somebody they were wrong putting half the money in FAANG at most any price and ignoring DGI. Trends cycle.
(09-17-2021, 07:33 AM)NilesMike Wrote:
(09-17-2021, 12:21 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Mike

Take a look at that IWM chart.  It won't be hard to see where I am trying to enter.  It's been annoying watching my long shares stuck in that channel so long but swing trading on the side has been about as easy as it gets.  I definitely want all my long shares in soon.  It will break out eventually.

I didn't mean to imply just buy now.
I meant to go all in when it suits you, i.e. puts assigned. Don't sell a portion and another and another at different times unless you never get assigned (a high class problem-LOL)
Not to count my chickens yet but second iteration of SPY and IWM puts expire WED-FRI.  I am very close to in the money now.  I think I will let them assign if that's how it goes.  First options just didn't give up extrinsic value until a couple minutes before close.  Anyway I may get back in 3% better off.  There's a little blood I didn't spill.  We'll see how it ends. 

I'd like to do the same with QQQ soon but I'm not feeling 100 shares until FAANG gets a proper haircut lol.
(09-21-2021, 11:30 PM)fenders53 Wrote:

Take a look at that IWM chart.  It won't be hard to see where I am trying to enter.  It's been annoying watching my long shares stuck in that channel so long but swing trading on the side has been about as easy as it gets.  I definitely want all my long shares in soon.  It will break out eventually.

I meant to go all in when it suits you, i.e. puts assigned. Don't sell a portion and another and another at different times unless you never get assigned (a high class problem-LOL)
  First options just didn't give up extrinsic value until a couple minutes before close. 

For those following along, the extrinsic didn't let go because of the pumped up volatility.
Trading options involve making an assumption or stock direction.

I am long a call in HD. Price has gone against me quite a bit but the pumped up volatility has my P/L hardly scathed. Now that vol seems to be coming out of the market, I'll need a nice price runup.
(09-22-2021, 06:35 AM)NilesMike Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 11:30 PM)fenders53 Wrote:

First options just didn't give up extrinsic value until a couple minutes before close. 

For those following along, the extrinsic didn't let go because of the pumped up volatility.
Trading options involve making an assumption or stock direction.

I am long a call in HD. Price has gone against me quite a bit but the pumped up volatility has my P/L hardly scathed. Now that vol seems to be coming out of the market, I'll need a nice price runup.
This is why I cringe when I see internet kids playing YOLO with margin AND options.  They should never have been authorized.  You have to start slow.   I frequently make a little money being a little bit wrong.  You can lose money being mostly right.  You have to live it with small money IMO.
added FDX and FB
I also bought some FDX. Yesterday added NUE, CVX, GOLD and CI
Added FDX, and SOFI
I got a small bonus at work today for a job well done, so I used it to go back to the "watch list consists of 1 share" strategy. I added to my "watch list":

T
VZ
LYB
OHI
LYG
MS
CVS
RQI

plus added one share to EYLD I guess just to dollar cost average it a bit.

Edit: That puts me at 14 positions less than $500