Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fender's final approach to retirement.
(08-22-2021, 12:27 PM)NilesMike Wrote: No pension here. Always have been self employed-until this "retirement job".

I am trying to simplify and was contemplating selling my rentals (8 units), but rethought that in the interest of diversification.

Will retire with SS, Roth, Simple IRA, dividends, rental income and option income.

The latter 2 are something of a job but I will need to remain active and actually desire to. The rentals only require a few hour per month on average and the options can be as active or inactive as I choose.

My son on the other hand, rents in Big D and puts about 20K a month into DGI stocks along with some crypto. Occasionally he sells some CCs. He has total free time when not working and really enjoys himself. Single, money and no debt and doesn't want any-LOL

Good luck to all.
Enjoying this thread, and glad others are sharing their situation.  I think you are very wise to to keep your real estate Mike.  I see no need for it to be an all or nothing decision though assuming you still own multiple properties.  You know real estate prices.  If they spike to some insane valuation maybe you sell one?  The problem as you know is then what???  Buy some DGI stocks that are 20% overpriced?  A big CD lol?  Worst case real estate dips hard and you hire somebody to deal with them for a year or two while you wait for a better exit.  

I enjoy the option game too.  It does take too much time but for now it's a hobby.  You are about the only one here that truly understands we have considerable control over the risk and the time we spend on the strategy. I don't have to stare at a computer screen, I choose to for now and I get paid a helluva lot more than my part-time job. I can wait for SPY, JNJ, HRL of KO etc to get hammered and sell some puts 3-6 months out and just go fishing.  It's only stressful when we try to make a little more premium when the market/stock is high.  IMO it's extremely easy to get a 6% return without even owning the stock short of extreme crash.  DGI would be not one bit better that day.  Somewhat worse actually.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fender's final approach to retirement. - by fenders53 - 08-22-2021, 01:09 PM
Fender's final approach to retirement. - by bankerboy - 10-29-2021, 05:47 PM
Fender's final approach to retirement. - by bankerboy - 11-16-2021, 02:49 PM
Fender's final approach to retirement. - by bankerboy - 11-24-2021, 08:43 AM