Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fender's final approach to retirement.
No pension here. Always have been self employed-until this "retirement job".

I am trying to simplify and was contemplating selling my rentals (8 units), but rethought that in the interest of diversification.

Will retire with SS, Roth, Simple IRA, dividends, rental income and option income.

The latter 2 are something of a job but I will need to remain active and actually desire to. The rentals only require a few hour per month on average and the options can be as active or inactive as I choose.

My son on the other hand, rents in Big D and puts about 20K a month into DGI stocks along with some crypto. Occasionally he sells some CCs. He has total free time when not working and really enjoys himself. Single, money and no debt and doesn't want any-LOL

Good luck to all.
i don't think any of you guys have anything to worry about lol

but that's the problem, i noticed those of us that worry are usually the planers if not the over-planners

those that don't think about retiring or saving or just live for the day don't stress about it cause they're not thinking about it in the first place
(08-22-2021, 12:27 PM)NilesMike Wrote: No pension here. Always have been self employed-until this "retirement job".

I am trying to simplify and was contemplating selling my rentals (8 units), but rethought that in the interest of diversification.

Will retire with SS, Roth, Simple IRA, dividends, rental income and option income.

The latter 2 are something of a job but I will need to remain active and actually desire to. The rentals only require a few hour per month on average and the options can be as active or inactive as I choose.

My son on the other hand, rents in Big D and puts about 20K a month into DGI stocks along with some crypto. Occasionally he sells some CCs. He has total free time when not working and really enjoys himself. Single, money and no debt and doesn't want any-LOL

Good luck to all.
Enjoying this thread, and glad others are sharing their situation.  I think you are very wise to to keep your real estate Mike.  I see no need for it to be an all or nothing decision though assuming you still own multiple properties.  You know real estate prices.  If they spike to some insane valuation maybe you sell one?  The problem as you know is then what???  Buy some DGI stocks that are 20% overpriced?  A big CD lol?  Worst case real estate dips hard and you hire somebody to deal with them for a year or two while you wait for a better exit.  

I enjoy the option game too.  It does take too much time but for now it's a hobby.  You are about the only one here that truly understands we have considerable control over the risk and the time we spend on the strategy. I don't have to stare at a computer screen, I choose to for now and I get paid a helluva lot more than my part-time job. I can wait for SPY, JNJ, HRL of KO etc to get hammered and sell some puts 3-6 months out and just go fishing.  It's only stressful when we try to make a little more premium when the market/stock is high.  IMO it's extremely easy to get a 6% return without even owning the stock short of extreme crash.  DGI would be not one bit better that day.  Somewhat worse actually.
Fenders, what are the highest percentage dividend payers you plan on keeping through retirement?
(10-28-2021, 08:46 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Fenders, what are the highest percentage dividend payers you plan on keeping through retirement?
That is going to vary from time to time.  You give me a down market and I'll buy a considerable portion of a trusted fund like RQI or ARCC.  So 6-8% is the answer then.  There is always the chance of a 25% principal loss in a rough market so I want the same upside possibility.  3% yield will be pretty normal for most of my DGI.
Back on the main topic my progress towards my retirement allocation has been too slow. So far I didn't get the dip I wanted to buy a bunch of index funds. At some point that will happen and in the meantime I grab income selling options against the indexes. Lately they are running way too fast though. The original plan was to retire about 360 days from today. I could draw from my IRA in 180 days without penalty and retire then. I definitely don't want to draw much from my principal too soon. If I can demonstrate the ability to make enough income in five of the next six months without selling shares or touching my dividend income I may go for it. In the next couple years I am eligible for pensions that make this easy. I may be trading some age 60 income for some age 80 income if I have to dig into the IRA. I think I am OK with that.

To be honest I was prepared to work part-time at HD for years to kill some time. They have cut freight staff to meet earnings and now everyone is a mule. I wish I could still do that but I crawl home lately. Exterior doors and large windows are very heavy to stock on high shelves. Whatever I can't do my co-workers are stuck with.
Carrying heavy objects as a retirement job does not sound like fun, yeah. I was thinking it would be fun to work at a library and organize shelves.

Back to my earlier question, interesting that you'd only carry ARCC and RQI during a down market. I see your point about wanting upside; I just figured it's always good to have steady high div payers in the port. I have to say I'm quite pleased with those two as well as 4-5 others and I plan to keep them forever.
(10-28-2021, 07:57 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Carrying heavy objects as a retirement job does not sound like fun, yeah.  I was thinking it would be fun to work at a library and organize shelves.

Back to my earlier question, interesting that you'd only carry ARCC and RQI during a down market.  I see your point about wanting upside; I just figured it's always good to have steady high div payers in the port.  I have to say I'm quite pleased with those two as well as 4-5 others and I plan to keep them forever.
To clarify I prefer to buy them after they take a beating. Safe for years and the yield is great.  Might be OK to buy today but the margin of safety I like is not there at all.  When I was up 40% in RQI capital I knew it would be hard to lose.  Anyway no chance I buy them up here.  A chart explains why. You have only held them during good times
Glad to see that you're progressing towards retirement. Whether it's 180 or 360 days, it's definitely not far. Just be sure not to destroy your body at HD, you are not 20 anymore. Big Grin You will figure out other things to keep busy with, maybe even find another part time job that does not involve heavy lifting if that is what you feel like.
HD was a good gig until Covid.  I had one of the few jobs that wasn't monotonous.  Earnings boomed and now they are trying to not disappoint investors by failing to grow.  Well run company.  They will figure out they have overdone the staffing cuts.  It blatantly obvious. Anyway I will find something.  I was debt free about six years ago when I partially retired.  I'd like to get back to there without over drawing my 401K in the early years.
This thread hits on something very important as we age. I’m 57 and hit the gym 4 times a week minimum, 2 for weight training and 2 for cardio along with eating pretty low carb.

It’s done wonders for me to be in this routine for years, I encourage everyone to put focus on your physical health now and stick with a plan or routine. It will likely save you a ton of your retirement money from going towards healthcare along with giving you quality of life for much longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(10-29-2021, 05:47 PM)bankerboy Wrote: This thread hits on something very important as we age. I’m 57 and hit the gym 4 times a week minimum, 2 for weight training and 2 for cardio along with eating pretty low carb.

It’s done wonders for me to be in this routine for years, I encourage everyone to put focus on your physical health now and stick with a plan or routine. It will likely save you a ton of your retirement money from going towards healthcare along with giving you quality of life for much longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Army beat me up for 34 years.  Required to stay in shape of course.  I had a back surgery 22 years ago and it's time for a tune up.  I won't be on an electric ladder wrestling patio doors after that for sure.

Losing your mobility sucks. I was never overweight but that gets harder with a sore back and hips.

Weight training is good though I only enjoyed it in phases. Active hobbies was very helpful because I did that almost daily. You can stay fitter than most adults working in the yard and taking the dog for a jog. I see a lot of young adults and dogs that need a jog. Smile