Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Safe" medium yielders - the 4%ers
(09-26-2021, 10:12 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(09-26-2021, 09:22 AM)rayray Wrote: the funny thing is before i grabbed these companies i considered wfc a horrible investment--because of all their issues the last several years and here looking at the total return it has actually done better then all the higher dividend payers over the course of the last ten years EXCEPT RY

now of course that's assuming one put in 100k ten years ago and didn't touch the money with no dividends reinvested

growth has been the clear winner the last ten years with this bull market--how long will this continue?? idk without the lost decade and the great recession we don't have this massive bull run....will value eventually do better then growth? idk

and we all know one can't go by past results for future gains

sure this thread might be centered towards INCOME for the retirement years but if one has enough money whats the difference if you're getting a 4% dividend or selling shares to get your 4%???
Only matters if you need income to live and we are in one of those pesky protracted downturns where you are selling shares at deep discounts.  If you need high yield during accumulation phase you are investing more than you can actually afford.  This is why cash buckets exist.

And yes value will come back in style but it's hard to fully appreciate if your  growth jusf got a big haircut

imho, it seems too many younger investors have gone after that dividend in the accumulation years

my mother and stepfather went completely broke during the great recession. due to health issues my step father retired in 2005 by 2010/11 his retirement savings was gone

i remember the great recession very well--my portfolio went down over 50%

we also have to remember dividend payers in bad markets are not necessarily the safe haven they might appear to be--there's been plenty of divi cuts and suspensions throughout the years

by nature i gravitate towards value but have a mix of growth and value with quite a few divi payers--my saving grace is 25 plus years in the market and not doing anything too crazy--i don't plan on changing strategy now or even through retirement--it's going to remain the same

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Safe" medium yielders - the 4%ers - by ChadR - 08-05-2021, 10:25 AM
RE: "Safe" medium yielders - the 4%ers - by ChadR - 08-05-2021, 10:34 AM
"Safe" medium yielders - the 4%ers - by bankerboy - 09-25-2021, 08:15 AM
"Safe" medium yielders - the 4%ers - by bankerboy - 09-25-2021, 01:25 PM
RE: "Safe" medium yielders - the 4%ers - by rayray - 09-26-2021, 10:30 AM
"Safe" medium yielders - the 4%ers - by bankerboy - 09-30-2021, 03:57 PM
"Safe" medium yielders - the 4%ers - by bankerboy - 10-05-2021, 06:47 AM
"Safe" medium yielders - the 4%ers - by bankerboy - 10-05-2021, 09:19 AM