Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Safe" high yielders - stocks, ETFs, CEFs, REITs, MLPs, etc - post your favorites!
(08-29-2021, 11:01 AM)NilesMike Wrote:
(08-29-2021, 10:40 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(08-29-2021, 10:24 AM)NilesMike Wrote: Serious question, why are many here posting of their purchases and sales nearly daily averse to using timing models? The time is already spent analyzing the market, single names. Do some believe the models don't work? I am trying to understand the reluctance.
I doubt most will understand your question.

I post this thread too much because it is hard to watch, but the place is supposed to be about helping others (my purpose other than entertainment).  I don't need a complex timing model.  I can look at a 10-20 year chart and see almost all of these are destined for a hard dip that wipes out years of high yields over and over.  I own none of it unless the quality has corrected unreasonably hard.  The high yield never stops attracting new buyers, and I doubt that will change soon.

You know the timing models of which I speak, they are not referencing any tickers mentioned in this thread.

Allow me to rephrase my question, your Honor (LOL): Why chase 7,8,9% high yielders when there are far superior ways to get even better returns?
LOL counsel.

The problem is the tickers in this thread are touted by S.A. authors and probably other places online.  All kinds of newsletter selling gurus recommending this stuff right now way after it ran post Covid panic.  These are the go to high yielders that require no effort to buy.  Read a few mistimed hype articles and just buy it.  The timing models are more reliable.  The reality is when I get it half right I can likely get 8% yield annually wheel trading JNJ, HRL, BMY (or pick your own boring blue chip).  Or maybe it all goes wrong mid year and I inly get 6% and own a stock that won't dip half as hard as these high yielders.  There are a lot of ways to get 8% if you are willing to take anywhere near the risk these ETFs offer.

I'd love to teach Ken to do this.  He is smart enough (this ain't rocket science), but 90 days in he is going to be wheel trading Moderna and triple Q because that 30% annual yield is just too juicy.  Sorry Ken, I know you don't completely understand what that means.                           

For the record I've made 25-40% in months, numerous times, on a select few tickers mentioned in this thread, and I know when to walk away and not return even if it takes years for a re-entry.  If the trade isn't there it isn't there.  Never a huge part of my game anyway though I wish it had been.
Yeah I'm going to have put myself through options trading school soon.

I won't be needing to put much of my new money into the high yielders going forwards, because the budget supplement is now in place. I look forward to focusing on finding undervalued growth stocks.
Ken,

He is talking about Dual Momentum strategies. There are variants and most of the ones I have seen back test extremely well vs the major indexes. One of the main attractions is the drawdown is proven to be FAR less than the major indexes during a major correction. It can perform right along with a major index like QQQ, but by dodging the brunt of drawdowns it doesn't really have to outperform the indexes in an up month. I can sort through an old thread we have here if anyone would like to read up on it.

This isn't options based. The learning curve is not steep.
I do think you should apply for your Level 1 option trading permission. You can play with matches for now but we don't want you to have a torch and a can of gasoline until you truly understand risks lol. You will find a new source of monthly income that is less risky than holding high yield ETFs. Especially when they are looking toppy.

Mike and I can walk you though a couple boring trades that won't get you hurt and you'll understand the basics quickly. The biggest risk with options is you are going to find out you can gamble easily. That is why I said level 1 for now. Most brokerages pass out permissions like candy but tell them you are being mentored by very experienced option traders and you'll get blessed. I probably have 750 trades the past 12 months and I don't live in a cardboard box just yet so I'm qualified to mentor LMAO.
Some others might not have been mentioned that are solid: BST (It's a rock solid CEF, was trading under NAV when I last checked) NUSI ( ETF, that write covered calls and puts) JEPI (somewhat like to nusi, with some growth potential also), VICI (REIT with great potential, collected 100% of its rent during pandemic)
DIY NUSI for those so inclined.

https://www.optionseducation.org/referen...r-qqq.aspx
Reading that made buying NUSI shares seem real attractive. I wonder if anyone has actually done this for an extended period of time.