Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Safe" high yielders - stocks, ETFs, CEFs, REITs, MLPs, etc - post your favorites!
i'm not a fan of high yielders, there's a reason why there's slim good long term data concerning high yielders--did own IRM and OHI that i bought when they were yielding 8 to 11%--both have been sold--i don't like selling and prolly should have kept but didn't

i do a mix of divi growth and growth stocks, for the most part have done well could have done better but i get wacky every so often and make mistakes

i do like the top 5 canadian banks--been okay for my porfolio, long term

i grasp between my divi players and my growth players

it's a feel good seeing that divi come in but then again, seeing the balance of my growth stocks, idk, those balances are really nice lol

i guess, i'm spread out between growth and value--so if the tides change i should be okay
(08-03-2021, 10:19 AM)rayray Wrote: i'm not a fan of high yielders, there's a reason why there's slim good long term data concerning high yielders--did own IRM and OHI that i bought when they were yielding 8 to 11%--both have been sold--i don't like selling and prolly should have kept but didn't

i do a mix of divi growth and growth stocks, for the most part have done well could have done better but i get wacky every so often and make mistakes

it's a feel good seeing that divi come in but then again, seeing the balance of my growth stocks, idk, those balances are really nice lol

i guess, i'm spread out between growth and value--so if the tides change i should be okay

So, I think it all depends on where you are on your road to retirement. I am trying to help my mom - she has ~40% of her portfolio in the vanilla S&P ETF, the rest is cash... growth isn't important to her - capital preservation and income are. She would be very happy earning 4-5% on something that doesn't decline in value over 10 years...
(08-03-2021, 10:40 AM)Genester Wrote:
(08-03-2021, 10:19 AM)rayray Wrote: i'm not a fan of high yielders, there's a reason why there's slim good long term data concerning high yielders--did own IRM and OHI that i bought when they were yielding 8 to 11%--both have been sold--i don't like selling and prolly should have kept but didn't

So, I think it all depends on where you are on your road to retirement. I am trying to help my mom - she has ~40% of her portfolio in the vanilla S&P ETF, the rest is cash... growth isn't important to her - capital preservation and income are. She would be very happy earning 4-5% on something that doesn't decline in value over 10 years...
That's a target you can hit without unnecessary risk.  She is likely to see some capital appreciation as well.  There are not a lot of them at the moment but when the defensive sectors dip you can grab a slow growth company that doesn't have a lot for fleas, but does have a solid dividend history.  The highest yielders play magic leverage tricks that blow up soon enough.   They just keep turning it up higher until the yield sucks the less experienced in.  It's been working longer than I have been investing.  Over and over management gets paid to drive the train off a cliff.  Find a few sketchy analysts to pump it with buy ratings and it's all good for awhile.
(08-03-2021, 10:59 AM)fenders53 Wrote:

That's a target you can hit without unnecessary risk.  She is likely to see some capital appreciation as well.  There are not a lot of them at the moment but when the defensive sectors dip you can grab a slow growth company that doesn't have a lot for fleas, but does have a solid dividend history.
You got ideas on these slow growth companies that are safe in that yield range? Big Grin
(08-03-2021, 10:59 AM)fenders53 Wrote:

That's a target you can hit without unnecessary risk.  She is likely to see some capital appreciation as well.  There are not a lot of them at the moment but when the defensive sectors dip you can grab a slow growth company that doesn't have a lot for fleas, but does have a solid dividend history.  The highest yielders play magic leverage tricks that blow up soon enough.   They just keep turning it up higher until the yield sucks the less experienced in.  It's been working longer than I have been investing.  Over and over management gets paid to drive the train off a cliff.  Find a few sketchy analysts to pump it with buy ratings and it's all good for awhile.

i agree with fenders...

going for yield is a slippery slope that can erode principal--i found it to be a common rookie mistake to chase yield

a lot of people are focused too much on yield, way too much

vanilla s&p ETF's can be great--in fact--i'd venture to say most individual investors can't beat the long term gains of really good solid ETF's and or mutual funds over the long term

imho, the focus should be on good solid investments regardless of yield

in fact, take yield out of the equation for the reason in can blind one to really good investment options, once good solid investments are found then plug in the yield metric

i'm 50 and don't plan on changing my investment philosophy anytime soon
(08-03-2021, 11:38 AM)So, I think it all depends on where you are on your road to retirement. I am trying to help my mom - she has ~40% of her portfolio in the vanilla S&P ETF, the rest is cash... growth isn\t important to her - capital preservation and income are. She would be very happy earning 4-5% on something that doesn't decline in value over 10 years... Wrote: [quote pid='27746' dateline='1628006378']
That's a target you can hit without unnecessary risk.  She is likely to see some capital appreciation as well.  There are not a lot of them at the moment but when the defensive sectors dip you can grab a slow growth company that doesn't have a lot for fleas, but does have a solid dividend history.
You got ideas on these slow growth companies that are safe in that yield range? Big Grin
[/quote]
Where were you last year?  Smile  Ask me again in about a month.  Maybe we can buy them together.  I try to be one of those buy low and sell high if I am gonna sell at all guys.  If I am honest though I sold 15 of them the past year as they flew to the moon like I never expected.  Use your brokerage software and do a screen for stocks that pay 3.50 to 3.75% now.  Weed out the garbage and get your watch list ready.  Some of them will come to you eventually.  At some point you'll have more than you can even buy.
(08-03-2021, 12:05 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(08-03-2021, 11:38 AM)So, I think it all depends on where you are on your road to retirement. I am trying to help my mom - she has ~40% of her portfolio in the vanilla S&P ETF, the rest is cash... growth isn\t important to her - capital preservation and income are. She would be very happy earning 4-5% on something that doesn Wrote: [quote pid='27746' dateline='1628006378']
Where were you last year?  Smile  Ask me again in about a month.  Maybe we can buy them together.  I try to be one of those buy low and sell high if I am gonna sell at all guys.  If I am honest though I sold 15 of them the past year as they flew to the moon like I never expected.  Use your brokerage software and do a screen for stocks that pay 3.50 to 3.75% now.  Weed out the garbage and get your watch list ready.  Some of them will come to you eventually.  At some point you'll have more than you can even buy.
[/quote]
I have the list ready - just looking for ideas from others. Been waiting for the correction that's not here yet...
That's all you can do for now. Other than tobacco almost all of the above average yielders are commodity based stocks and that's just not a great idea now IMO. I have a ton of cash I would like to deploy but invested enough to just wait. The Covid on-Covid off uncertainty will drive some volatility but most of those are not high Div payers.

Glad you started the thread though. This will be a good one to update as time goes on.
(08-02-2021, 05:40 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Here's what I'm currently invested in that has a 7%+ yield:

NLY - $15,422.59.  Swing and a miss! (since it didn't do better than T)  I have it but I've already started to trim it.

Is NLY a trap at any price? Is there some level where it is worth buying?
Perhaps after a few more dividend cuts and the share price levels out. If the earnings estimates come true the payout ratio is about 90%. That's problematic if things don't go perfect. They've cut the dividend about 5 times the past decade so they aren't afraid to do it. Look at their financials. Very inconsistent.
I strongly recommend looking at HTGC instead.

https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/s...nd-history

The dividend had increased to $.40 right before COVID, dropped to $.32 immediately after, and they've been building it back up since. Now back up to $.39.

And unlike the others, a look at their max price chart shows choppy, but not a downward trend like AGNC and NLY. Overall up 26% the past 5 years.
This article recommends NREF, a REIT paying 9.18% I hadn't heard of before, and ARCC.