Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vacation wrap-up
Hi all,

Here's what I saw on my trip out West.

Bryce Canyon - The pictures don't do it justice.  This is one of the special places on Earth.  Next time I go back, I want to stay overnight at the Lodge because the stargazing is supposed to be unparalleled as well, thanks to the high elevation and being out in the middle of nowhere.

Zion - Sure there are scenic views, but it's really about the hiking here.  Unfortunately, we went in 95 degree weather, so the hike up to the famous Angel's Landing was out.  We also didn't know to rent the special shoes and poles to go out into the Narrows (the trail is a river).  

Grand Canyon North Rim - We just did the short hike out to Angel Point, another of Earth's special places.  

Grand Canyon South Rim - A big touristy place, lots of fun to be had.  I did the helicopter tour which was nice.

Grand Canyon West Rim - Honestly, the Skywalk was overrated.  But Guano Point was pretty darn cool; best view of the Colorado River in all 3 canyon parks.

Grand Canyon Western Ranch - Staying at a place without internet access is daunting, but I managed it for 2 nights!  The main attraction was smores & songs around the campfire, and a dramatic display of desert noiseless lightning.

Hoover Dam/Lake Mead - Alas the poor Lake has shrunk considerably.  It is possible in 20 years that the level will be so low that the Dam can no longer generate electricity.  The Dam was WAY cool but the power plant tour was closed due to covid.  We tried Boulder Beach on the Lake but it was exactly as it sounds - a lake amidst a bunch of rocks.  Still a good way to stay cool in 100 degree weather. Next time I want to try Willow Beach, rent kayaks, and head over to the hot springs across the river.

Las Vegas - It's fun to drive down the Strip, but everything to do is so expensive and I'm not a gambler (aside from, um, what I do here).  Also, music blares from everywhere.  That coupled with the heat gave me a headache.
Sounds like an awesome trip Ken. I haven't been to most of those places.
Nice summary of your trip, I'd love to check out those places someday.

Enjoying a couple nights camping with the kids here. Took them all on their first canoe ride today. Think we might try a little fishing before we leave in the morning.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha