Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Migration discussion
I've spoken with several people who have tried to join and some of them have been lurking and waiting for over a year now. So it's pretty apparent to me that if this community is to survive, we need to migrate so we can start accepting new members again.

Two topics that come to mind.

1. When 
I think we should agree on a timeline. It's possible, though unlikely, that Kerim will see the messages sooner or later.  But I don't think running away today is the solution. How does everyone feel like about waiting until the end of the month, and then if we still haven't heard from Kerim we jump over to another platform?

2. Where
Options please. What do we want? 

-Eric already has a forum we could probably use. - https://dgiforthediy.com/community/
-Divmenow has also stated that he would be willing to buy & setup a new forum for us.
-I've got the backup discord server running - https://discord.gg/f74yKtWg37

I'm ok with any of the above solutions. And I get that people might prefer the forum format, that is what we have been using all these years and it has worked well. 

Personally I see discord as a good opportunity for a smaller community like this, it's so much more versatile than a forum. I get that it has the "quick messaging feel" but it does work for "slower" chat just as well. Bonuses from discord are zero fees, and basically zero setup time unless we want to configure some bots into there. The big downside is that it doesn't show up on google, so basically new members will be by word of mouth.

So lets hear you opinion on the subject.
to be clear: my preference is to wait until the end of the month and then jump over to discord.

But I'm of course happy with whatever the majority decides, the main thing is to keep the community going, I don't mind if we use carrier pigeons as long as it gets the job done Big Grin
This thread is a good idea. The discussion is getting scattered. I'll copy what I just said on the main trade thread.

...let's be a little bit careful with our words OK? We have no idea what is going on in Kerim's life and we are planning a mutiny in broad daylight on HIS forum. I'm not cool with that. Not even a little. He has been nothing but kind to us when he was here. I get it he seems to have lost interest. We don't know the reason. Under any other terms I am out....

Anyway....

I would prefer something similar to a forum. A Discord by itself isn't going to be the same for me. We aren't all available at the same time to be logged on and chatting it up. That will fade in a week unless you get a lot of new members that stick. I'm old and don't like the instant message format. I like to dig up threads from six months ago as we sometimes do. It's easy to find stuff here from last month. Get some new members that actually participate more than a week and my presence won't matter anyway. It's not just about me. Right now we need everybody that stops by a time or two a week. This forum will die without new members. I do get that. No matter what you folks decide I intend to stop by at least once a week and say hello even if I hate the format.
New site up just in case we need for future. It’s a working process of course but just wanted something up just in case. You can post and create new threads, and it’s secured. Hope Karin is ok and doing well This has nothing to do with him. This is something we all enjoy here and by all means don’t want to go anywhere. Just a backup plan if needed.

https://dividendstockforum.com

When you sign up look in your spam folder. Right now anyone can sign up with a user name and password and post right away.

I'm headed to Disney now. Flight leaves in 3 hours lol
(07-17-2021, 12:12 PM)divmenow Wrote: New site up just in case we need for future. It’s a working process of course but just wanted something up just in case. You can post and create new threads, and it’s secured. Hope Karin is ok and doing well This has nothing to do with him. This is something we all enjoy here and by all means don’t want to go anywhere. Just a backup plan if needed.

https://dividendstockforum.com

When you sign up look in your spam folder. Right now anyone can sign up with a user name and password and post right away.

I'm headed to Disney now. Flight leaves in 3 hours lol

Have a good time at Disney.  I registered and gave it a test post.  The authentication email did take awhile to arrive.  I know Kerim has probably lost interest but we owe him a little respect on his forum.  If he has lost interest hopefully he will register on your forum and check in now and then.  That would be easier for him than maintaining a website.

Your site is fine. It doesn't need many more categories until you have many more members. It just spreads things around. Maybe add an off topic branch for threads like baseball, I need hemorrhoid surgery next week etc. surgery etc. Smile Even a Speculative stock thread. I'd keep registering easy and assign a couple mods to clear out bots. Waiting to register is the only reason why this place is about to die.

I wouldn't care if Crimson had a sister site that was IM style. Not for me personally but he could spam it here and see if it takes off.
(07-17-2021, 12:34 PM)fenders53 Wrote: I wouldn't care if Crimson had a sister site that was IM style.  Not for me personally but he could spam it here and see if it takes off.

I'm not too interested in running my own thing to be honest and that was never the plan anyway.  

The main thing here, I think, is to figure out a contingency plan that we can all agree on in case Kerim doesn't show up anytime soon. Splitting such a small community is a recipe for disaster.
I agree. Even when Kerim was around to accept new members 12 posters was a busy day. With the distractions in summer barely half that. Best to keep the community together as their just aren't many dividend groups around.

Divmenow's site is fine if we have to do that to allow new members. I'll be curious to see how many new people register and bother to post more than once or twice.
did anyone try to connect with kerim outside of the forum?

it wouldn't be that hard to do a google search, maybe facebook, well yea most likely FB lol
just to let everyone know that the discord is "active" now, not purely a backup. Just because I think there are some newbies who do need a place to chat with us.

Not saying it's a permanent solution. Just saying that feel free to drop by and have a chat, especially those of you who haven't been able to join here for whatever reason.
(07-20-2021, 09:58 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: just to let everyone know that the discord is "active" now, not purely a backup. Just because I think there are some newbies who do need a place to chat with us.

Not saying it's a permanent solution. Just saying that feel free to drop by and have a chat, especially those of you who haven't been able to join here for whatever reason.

It does make sense before we lose them.  I'll head over and say hello shortly.

EDIT: Well I tried. Gave up my phone number and email and it promptly rescinded my invite. Maybe some other day it will work.
(07-20-2021, 10:35 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(07-20-2021, 09:58 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: just to let everyone know that the discord is "active" now, not purely a backup. Just because I think there are some newbies who do need a place to chat with us.

EDIT:  Well I tried.  Gave up my phone number and email and it promptly rescinded my invite.  Maybe some other day it will work.

Was this an issue with registering with discord? Or at which point did you get declined? 
From what I can see everything is working ok on the servers end. Server is working fine - invite is still active - last new dude joined exactly 30mins prior to me typing this out.
(07-20-2021, 11:08 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote:
(07-20-2021, 10:35 AM)fenders53 Wrote:

EDIT:  Well I tried.  Gave up my phone number and email and it promptly rescinded my invite.  Maybe some other day it will work.

Was this an issue with registering with discord? Or at which point did you get declined? 
From what I can see everything is working ok on the servers end. Server is working fine - invite is still active - last new dude joined exactly 30mins prior to me typing this out.
Yeah I clicked the invite, it asked for my phone number which I provided .  Sent me a security code I sent back properly.  Asked for my email which I provided, then locked me out without sending an email back. Yes I checked my spam folder.  They got my info anyway.  Smile