Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ken's Quarterly Reports
Hi all,

Now that a portion of my portfolio is DGI, I thought it would be nice to publish quarterly progress reports here.  In the statements that follow, when you see "Money Engine", that's the nickname I use for my taxable account.

Q2 2021

First, here's the performance of the two accounts since the taxable got started last January.  The yellow line is how much money I've deposited into the taxable account; the March surge is from the cash-out refinance on my house.  The green line are deposits into the ROTH, of which there was a "back-door rollover" in April.  

[Image: fae30be0-300c-4088-9e14-4adab3e2f107.png]

Next up is the "annualized profit" each account has been generating.  In other words, each data point takes the accumulated profit of the last year and divides by 52 to get the average weekly profit the account is making.  At present, the Money Engine has made $879/week over the past year, while the ROTH is at $971/week.

[Image: e2558f2f-df29-4719-9ac5-f0b6cc38dd66.png]

The portfolio is just getting started on producing dividends, as you can see.

[Image: f5cc7a93-772c-4d46-afdf-bfede22b0d08.png]

Here's what I'm projected to collect in the coming year for dividends:

[Image: 778ac306-329b-4138-99dc-55db9f6c4598.png]

Overall, the Money Engine's current yield is 2.99%

Finally, here's a spotlight on the portfolio's DGI positions.  DGI defined as stocks that regularly increase their dividend.

TGT - 18.79% increase overall, my initial purchase back in March is up a whopping 34.77%!!!
SHW - 12.91% increase overall, my initial purchase back in March is up 14.34%
LHX - 9.05% increase overall, my initial purchase back in March is up 13.77%
HD - 8.58% increase overall, my initial purchase back in March is up 12.06%
RIO - 8.57% increase overall, my initial purchase back in March is up 10.41%
ORCL - 8.19% increase overall, my initial purchase back in March is up 15.95%
TXN - 7.07% increase overall, my initial purchase back in March is up 10.07%
LOW - 6.76% increase overall, my initial purchase back in March is up 9.21%
HII - 6.08% increase overall, my initial purchase back in March is up 7.87%
LMT - 6.07% increase overall, my initial purchase back in March is up 9.98%
TSM - 4.51% increase overall, my initial purchase back in March is up 6.06%
AVGO - 4.24% increase overall, my initial purchase back in March is up 6.02%
STX - 3.90% increase overall, my initial purchase back in March is up 16.33%  (this one flew sky high and I unfortunately bought more then)
MO - 3.07% increase overall, my initial purchase back in April is up 3.88%
ABBV - 2.48% increase overall, my initial purchase back in March is up 1.77% (I actually made 3 separate March purchases but that was the largest)
XEL - 1.88% increase overall, my initial purchase back in March is up 3.90% (like STX, all subsequent purchases were made at higher prices)
SBUX - down 0.16% but just purchased June 15th.

Notables in the Income part of the Money Engine:

OXLC sports a 10.99% yield, and I am overall up 6.82%.  My original March purchase is up 16.97%
HRZN sports a 7.02% yield, and I am overall up 8.37%.  My original March purchase is up 20.25%
PFL sports a 8.44% yield, and I am overall up 4.52%.  My original March purchase is up 7.69%

Other Money Engine notables:

Year-to-date champion: SOXL, at 45.22%.  RETL would be; but I didn't purchase until March.
Largest holding: SOXL
Largest stock holding: AVGO
Largest dividend payer: OXLC

Other ROTH notables:

Year-to-date champion: TQQQ, at 35.87%
Largest holding: RETL
Largest stock holding: TTD
Largest dividend payer: ERX; after a brief flirtation with LYB, now the only dividend payer

Are there any other statistics I should mention?
Eric's DGI tracking is a good guide used by most who aspire to share their DGI progress. Monthly/QTRY income is tracked by position. After a few years you can see the DIV raises going to work for you. The year over year is what matters. It's a long game and nobody cares what the share price does for a few months in a DGI port because it is just the luck of the market's whims and nothing about skill. He also shares all his sells and adds for the quarter, and why he believes it it's right for the long-term. Why he bought, and what changed to make him sell. He has data going back five years + in an easy to understand format. For better or worse you can see his successes and failures after the fact. A lot of people follow his port so it's a good tracking system.
(06-30-2021, 05:16 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Eric's DGI tracking is a good guide used by most who aspire to share their DGI progress.  Monthly/QTRY income is tracked by position.  After a few years you can see the DIV raises going to work for you.  The year over year is what matters.  It's a long game and nobody cares what the share price does for a few months in a DGI port because it is just the luck of the market's whims and nothing about skill.  He also shares all his sells and adds for the quarter, and why he believes it it's right for the long-term.  Why he bought, and what changed to make him sell. He has data going back five years + in an easy to understand format.  For better or worse you can see his successes and failures after the fact. A lot of people follow his port so it's a good tracking system.

Sounds great I'll start with that next quarter.  This quarter was more like the primordial stew.
(06-30-2021, 05:34 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(06-30-2021, 05:16 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Eric's DGI tracking is a good guide used by most who aspire to share their DGI progress.  Monthly/QTRY income is tracked by position.  After a few years you can see the DIV raises going to work for you.  The year over year is what matters.  It's a long game and nobody cares what the share price does for a few months in a DGI port because it is just the luck of the market's whims and nothing about skill.  He also shares all his sells and adds for the quarter, and why he believes it it's right for the long-term.  Why he bought, and what changed to make him sell. He has data going back five years + in an easy to understand format.  For better or worse you can see his successes and failures after the fact. A lot of people follow his port so it's a good tracking system.

Sounds great I'll start with that next quarter.  This quarter was more like the primordial stew.
The rest of your stuff, while interesting won't draw interest in excessive detail.  A port of stuff you are keeping can be analyzed over time.  Nobody cares about my 25 trades a month in that small part of my port.  We just share that real-time.  Here's my win, got my butt kicked on this one etc.  Mostly people don't share their fails on this forum or anywhere else and that makes me yawn at their win posts.  When I get my face ripped off I usually share why I failed if I know.  Might save somebody else some pain next month.
Okay, I took the raw data for the Q2 dividend growth, and I'll figure out how to apply it to future quarters.

[Image: 4ea7ed4c-ccd4-433d-ac2a-d9015b09f53e.png]

Go OXLC!!!
I haven't gotten back to yield-on-cost-by-stock spreadsheet tracking, but I think some end of year numbers are worth reporting.

Taxable account Performance
2020: 122.13%
2021: 43.98%

ROTH account performance
2020: 68.94%
2021: 77.87%

Dividends (taxable)
[Image: b41c4979-7923-4bfd-94ae-18f9b25971f1.png]

Q3 was bigger than Q4 thanks to RIO. As you can see, it only started to become a DGI account in earnest in Q2 this year, so it's not even a year old yet in that department.

Best single purchase of 2021
That would be 5 shares of TECL on March 30th, up 119.85%
Congrats! Can't complain about those rates of return.