Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Short Term DGI - Plateauing Stocks
(05-13-2021, 12:19 PM)MrPosadas Wrote: New member but have been lurking in the shadows reading and learning from everyone for quite awhile. Used to work for Delta Air Lines but took their early retirement package after COVID and moved back West to be closer to family. Delta’s 401K allows me to trade in the open stock market so I do most of my trading in that account while also managing my ROTH and brokerage accounts.

One topic where I could use some advice is whether to hold or sale a high dividend yielding stock that has plateaued. The dividends are great but not sure if it would be more advantageous to sale in the near future and invest in something else that has more growth potential; or, if I should stay invested, accept not much more growth is possible, and collect dividends along the way.
Welcome to the forum.  I assume you may be talking about stocks other than DAL?  I'd run it through the list, and some of this is definitely just my personal experience.  

-sounds like generating taxes from gains are not an issue?
-don't overthink this and create reasons to sell based on short -term issues.  It's VERY easy to do.
-is the stock way overvalued and the growth has been gone for years with no end in sight?  Time to sell.
-If you sell do it in stages.  The chances of timing is right isn't that good.  
-You need a better place to put the money or you are just churning your account. 

It's OK if all your port isn't exciting, but being overweight if you know it no longer makes sense isn't good investing.  Buy and hold everything until the end of time is just as mindless as flipping stocks for no reason.  I've done both.    Big Grin  I look forward to your future posts.

Messages In This Thread
Short Term DGI - Plateauing Stocks - by MrPosadas - 05-13-2021, 12:19 PM
RE: Short Term DGI - Plateauing Stocks - by fenders53 - 05-13-2021, 12:45 PM
RE: Short Term DGI - Plateauing Stocks - by ChadR - 05-13-2021, 02:10 PM
RE: Short Term DGI - Plateauing Stocks - by EricL - 05-13-2021, 02:32 PM
RE: Short Term DGI - Plateauing Stocks - by EricL - 05-13-2021, 11:27 PM
Short Term DGI - Plateauing Stocks - by MrPosadas - 05-14-2021, 08:57 AM
Short Term DGI - Plateauing Stocks - by MrPosadas - 05-14-2021, 02:29 PM