Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weight loss
I don't know about the rest of you, but I maintained my normal weight through June of last year, then I started getting sweets and stopped exercising and ballooned up 15 pounds.  In January I started an aggressive New Year's resolution for exercise, and I did not budge a pound off my weight.  I'd work out, get hungry, and eat.  A couple weeks ago I stopped working out as much.  Now I'm finally starting to see some weight loss.  Go figure.
(04-12-2021, 06:00 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: I don't know about the rest of you, but I maintained my normal weight through June of last year, then I started getting sweets and stopped exercising and ballooned up 15 pounds.  In January I started an aggressive New Year's resolution for exercise, and I did not budge a pound off my weight.  I'd work out, get hungry, and eat.  A couple weeks ago I stopped working out as much.  Now I'm finally starting to see some weight loss.  Go figure.

I am 61 years old, have been weight training for 48 years. The more I train with weights, my bodyweight stays up. The only way I can lose on the scale is running and bodyweight calisthenics. Some light weight training can also be included. It is weird but I finally figured out what works for me.
I haven't been on a scale but I have the old guy pot belly now. I am small boned and kept up with my Soldiers in the military until about 10 yrs ago. My back isn't good and I need to get it fixed one more time. I am hesitant to do that until I am done working at HD. I am capable of much more light outdoor activity. I like healthy foods. I have no excuse to not make some progress this summer. I am not obese but my back would appreciate it if I dropped 15 pounds.
(04-12-2021, 06:16 AM)NilesMike Wrote:
(04-12-2021, 06:00 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: I don't know about the rest of you, but I maintained my normal weight through June of last year, then I started getting sweets and stopped exercising and ballooned up 15 pounds.  In January I started an aggressive New Year's resolution for exercise, and I did not budge a pound off my weight.  I'd work out, get hungry, and eat.  A couple weeks ago I stopped working out as much.  Now I'm finally starting to see some weight loss.  Go figure.

I am 61 years old, have been weight training for 48 years. The more I train with weights, my bodyweight stays up. The only way I can lose on the scale is running and bodyweight calisthenics. Some light weight training can also be included. It is weird but I finally figured out what works for me.

Right, makes sense.  Of course weight loss isn't the exact correct metric for me, I should be measuring waist circumference.  But it's good enough.
(04-12-2021, 07:53 AM)fenders53 Wrote: I haven't been on a scale but I have the old guy pot belly now.  I am small boned and kept up with my Soldiers in the military until about 10 yrs ago.  My back isn't good and I need to get it fixed one more time.  I am hesitant to do that until I am done working at HD.  I am capable of much more light outdoor activity.  I like healthy foods.  I have no excuse to not make some progress this summer.  I am not obese but my back would appreciate it if I dropped 15 pounds.

We'll have to encourage each other to do some light running now that the weather is getting warmer.  15 is a great goal!
(04-12-2021, 03:53 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:

Right, makes sense.  Of course weight loss isn't the exact correct metric for me, I should be measuring waist circumference.  But it's good enough.
Yup, it's about proportions. My arms and legs look I probably weigh 150 LBS.  My belly says 200 lol.  If I dieted I'd probably get skinnier legs without proper exercise.  Getting old changes things if you do nothing.  My father was about 6-4, 230 with a belly and no butt.  I'd headed down that path though I am much shorter.  My brother is about 6-3 350.  I'm the chubby runt of the litter lol.
6'4", 6'3", wow big family. My father is 78 and he can't get around very well now, so yeah, staying active is definitely important!!!

The weather is beautiful here in Boston now.  I really need to start running 2-3 times a week.

I'm down from a high of 159 to 156.4.  If I put as much effort into weight loss as I do my portfolio, I should make it to my goal weight of 137 right? Smile
(04-26-2021, 07:27 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:

The weather is beautiful here in Boston now.  I really need to start running 2-3 times a week.

I'm down from a high of 159 to 156.4.  If I put as much effort into weight loss as I do my portfolio, I should make it to my goal weight of 137 right? Smile
I remember 137 but I was in college.  Smile
(04-27-2021, 08:24 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(04-26-2021, 07:27 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:

I remember 137 but I was in college.  Smile

Let's see ... according to MyFitnessPal, for me it was 2015.
idk...i like wine and pasta and that's that
(04-27-2021, 08:09 PM)rayray Wrote: idk...i like wine and pasta and that's that
Have you given any thought to a side hustle as a nutritionist?  Big Grin