Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your winners & losers today?
(10-16-2021, 01:55 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(10-15-2021, 07:08 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Guess I'll do the weekly update.  I thought there was a chance for a new ATH today.  Not quite, missed by about .3%  It was a good week though.  Anybody with a portfolio that is diversified at all should be up for the week.

Yeah, my taxable account is only $3.5k from the all-time high, which is interesting because back when I was at my ath at the end of August, SOXL was in the high 40s and TECL was in the high 60s, and both still have a ways to go to return to those figures.  But my financial equities, led by FAS, are carrying the team.  Plus DFEN recovered.

Over in the ROTH, I have a lot in Moderna, so it's down about $9k from its all-time high.  Hopefully it will get FDA certified soon and get a bump from that.
It's certainly hard to have an up 50% year if you are diversified, but it still makes sense to me over time.  IMO you don't need to be in all 11 sectors, but you need a decent position in some that usually have a negative correlation.  It's easier to keep your cool if your port isn't getting absolutely devastated.  I like to tin I stay cool under fire but when you get destroyed it's hard to be 100 clear headed with your decisions. It's just human nature.

I follow some youtube channels for entertainment.  30ish aged guys that were wildly successful with SPACs and TSLA last year.  They are making a fortune on youtube selling services and clicks.  I knew it was coming.  Their fans were following the momentum like sheep and now they are down way over 50% while the content providers bought multiple TSLAs and million dollar houses.  Many of those stocks are not coming back ever.  It was hard to watch when I knew all they had to do was put half their money into "pick a major pharma-tech or anything solid".  We can think we have next year figured out but who knows if we are honest?  With diversification you can pick up the pieces if/when it goes horribly wrong.  Head over to Reddit and there are fools putting 100% of their money into just a couple stocks, or worse yet buying out of the money options that expire in a week.  If you lose 90% of your account on a 5% index correction you are doing this wrong.

I am not setting the world on fire lately.  My UTEs were heading for zero a week ago and my biggest gainers this week.  Nothing really changed.  It doesn't make much sense in the short term.

Messages In This Thread
What are your winners & losers today? - by 2R45 - 04-29-2021, 08:42 AM
RE: What are your winners & losers today? - by fenders53 - 10-16-2021, 02:33 PM
RE: What are your winners & losers today? - by backroadbob - 12-20-2021, 07:11 PM
What are your winners & losers today? - by bankerboy - 01-22-2022, 12:49 PM
What are your winners & losers today? - by bankerboy - 01-28-2022, 08:50 AM