Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your winners & losers today?
(06-08-2021, 04:06 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Flat day for me too.  RETL was the bright spot.  I just have so much money in chip stocks that if they are down, it's hard for the rest of my port to counter that.

TSM just can't seem to gain traction; I would have thought with the chip shortage it would have run up huge by now.  Of my March purchases that I have held onto, only 3 are less than 1 percent gainers:

ORC, which is actually -2.78% but has the 14% dividend to make up for it
HPQ, which had a huge drop a few weeks back and with a dollar cost average at the low is now up 0.68%
TSM, up 0.82%

WEC has been dropping too; at one point it was a 10%er but now is up just 2.64%.

None of those I have any plans to get rid of though.  One that is underperforming VOO that I will probably wait the year to get long term cap gains on and then sell is ACN.  As a consulting firm, it doesn't really give me any particular sector coverage, so if it can't beat the S&P 500 index in growth or dividend, then I will move on.  But I'll make the final determination next March.
I try to research the chips but it's somewhat outside my wheelhouse.  You probably know this but the shortage is due to a shortage of raw materials and foundry capacity.  It's not like my window manufacturers at work waiting an extra 60 days for China to send over some metal retaining clips.  TSM and INTC among others are expanding capacity.  It's my understanding it takes over a year to set up a new foundry.  This is highly precision manufacturing as high end chip wafers are almost microscopic thin now.  TSM simply can't produce enough to take full advantage of the shortage.  You're a techie, ask around and find a better explanation.  

They will raise prices now and sell all they can make.  The market will see the light at the end of the tunnel and short of a recession I think we will be rewarded.  I'd rather own three times as much SOX as SOXL though.  The option churn chews away at SOXL while we wait.  I will add chips but it will be gradual as I have a fairly decent exposure.  If they run by winter great.  If not I'll add a little more.

Hold on to your WEC.  If it dips much more I will add but it isn't cheap enough for a big reward.  There is nothing wrong with WEC business performance.  Nothing at all.  You just hold a few good UTEs for years.  That has never not worked in my lifetime.

Messages In This Thread
What are your winners & losers today? - by 2R45 - 04-29-2021, 08:42 AM
RE: What are your winners & losers today? - by fenders53 - 06-08-2021, 04:32 PM
RE: What are your winners & losers today? - by backroadbob - 12-20-2021, 07:11 PM
What are your winners & losers today? - by bankerboy - 01-22-2022, 12:49 PM
What are your winners & losers today? - by bankerboy - 01-28-2022, 08:50 AM