Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your winners & losers today?
(04-12-2021, 03:29 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Your mother sounds sweet.  She's right; CD rates are terrible!

My hero of the day was, of all stocks, HRZN, one of the ones I bought for its dividend (7.63%).  I'm up 10% on it overall, so I'm very excited over this find.

Today was not a good day for SOXL though, who triple magnified TSM's bad day who is right behind it as the two hard luck losers of the day.

She is sweet.   CD rates are truly stressing her out.  I am half tempted to tell her I have access to a magic CD because I am a Vanguard VIP with a guaranteed 6%+ rate.  Smile  I could borrow the money and use it to back up a covered put in ATT.  She'd be pretty excited if I gave her 1% interest on her fake CD every month because that would be the return if I didn't get forced into T shares and the rate drops down to 6%.  Or I could just put her money in the bank in case she needs it and use my moldy cash position that's already on account to back up an option sale on her behalf until if/when I get forced to buy cheaper T shares.

I actually like this idea I just conjured up but it might be lying?  Smile  I could tell her the truth in a year and prove it wasn't very risky in the first place. 

And I don't know what to think of TSM.  A chip shortage and chip suppliers struggling makes little sense.  The PE is fairly high against historical and they must not be immune to problems is all I can think of.
Alrighty, another day is in the books.

Today is a tale of two triples. The day's winner is WEBL, the Dow Jones tripler. The day's loser is HIBL, the S&P 500 High Beta tripler.

But I think more interesting than those specifically are the quiet overachievers who are just steadily gaining day after day.
CURE went up again today, even with Johnson & Johnson going down.
OXLC, my second highest yielding stock, is consistently making slow gains and is now up 5.75% with its 12.18% yield.
ORCL quietly goes up, day after day, and is now my top % gaining individual company in the portfolio, at 14.2% since March 16th.
HRZN seems to be the clear star of my March purchases, however, gaining 12.07% and providing a 7.47% dividend.
Nothing really big either way.

Biggest loser - WRK
Biggest winner - AAPL
Slow creep higher for the port continues. AAPL biggest gainer but I don't own many shares now. Edit- it was actually gold miners. They have mostly just churned for months.
Another port ATH, by about $100 lol. Just options I sold slowly fading to worthless. About the flattest day I have seen in awhile. Nothing really moved. Chips held me back a bit.
That's great Fenders.

I didn't really want to talk about today, but okay here goes. It started pretty well. After talk of possibly having him hit lower in the order, HIBL hit a monster 3 run shot into the bleachers, plating in RETL and RIO, and NAIL pitched a quality start. Relievers FAS, DFEN, and NLY followed up with holds. But then young reliever MARA came in to get the save, walked the bases loaded, and gave up a grand slam, and then the normally reliable bullpen led by TECL and WEBL just couldn't stop the bleeding. Meanwhile, top slugger SOXL admits he's in a rut, but that he's watching video and working on his swing and is expected to bust out any day now. Lead-off man SPXL broke his hitting streak.
(04-14-2021, 07:43 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: That's great Fenders.

I didn't really want to talk about today, but okay here goes.  It started pretty well.  After talk of possibly having him hit lower in the order, HIBL hit a monster 3 run shot into the bleachers, plating in RETL and RIO, and NAIL pitched a quality start.  Relievers FAS, DFEN, and NLY followed up with holds.  But then young reliever MARA came in to get the save, walked the bases loaded, and gave up a grand slam, and then the normally reliable bullpen led by TECL and WEBL just couldn't stop the bleeding.  Meanwhile, top slugger SOXL admits he's in a rut, but that he's watching video and working on his swing and is expected to bust out any day now.  Lead-off man SPXL broke his hitting streak.
LOL, you put some work into that.  Didn't even mention the Twins either.  Smile  That's another thread. 

I am actually glad you guys put the bad influence on me and I got just a little more aggressive the past 6 months.  Mostly glad I have been buying at least a little of good stocks that get hammered on a minor earnings miss.  Even just a few K here and there adds up when they all bounce back.  I went in big on the utility dip.  That's really the only thing I jumped hard enough on.  My put selling is a constant income source.  I haven't hit many home runs but it's been a really good year.  I really have been batting about .700 for 2021.  Market has a great day.  I'm up $3K when it would have been $7K if I was invested like I was when I was 50yrs old.  But then there are those days when all the indexes are down 1%+ and my port is up $500 or so.  That adds up too as it happens day after day.  I'm just hitting a whole lot of singles and the upwards trending market means nothing pulls back for real, for very long.  The past six months have been my very best run in a long time.  I'm not even counting the bounce off the MAR lows that everyone saw.  That's good because I got bulldozed last MAR.  Way worse than you would have thought since I hit the beginning of the dip about half in cash.  I just jumped back in too soon, and trimmed or sold some winners many months early.  I never even dreamed the market would do this well before the recovery got any real traction.  So many sectors have run too far.  I'm not even talking about tech.  Restaurants trading way above pre-Covid  prices is an example.  I just can't chase that now.  I missed it.  Always the one that got away.
Agreed since October the market has been on a very special run.

Alrighty, it's time for the daily update. I'm going to stick to the baseball metaphor because I find it amusing.

Before today's game, MARA was sent to AAA to learn control with his pitches. The Old Town Team had a monster day today, making up for yesterday's late inning blown save and then some. The heart of the lineup SOXL, TECL, and WEBL each went 3 for 5 (aka 5% gainers), but in a big surprise, joining them was catcher CURE who kept saying on the bench afterwards, "Hey, I'm a tripler too!" Hitters who had bad days were HIBL, who went cold again after yesterday's big day, TSM, who is struggling at the plate right now, and ORC, who went 0 for 6 with 6 strikeouts.
(04-15-2021, 03:33 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Agreed since October the market has been on a very special run.

Alrighty, it's time for the daily update.  I'm going to stick to the baseball metaphor because I find it amusing.

Before today's game, MARA was sent to AAA to learn control with his pitches.  The Old Town Team had a monster day today, making up for yesterday's late inning blown save and then some.  The heart of the lineup SOXL, TECL, and WEBL each went 3 for 5 (aka 5% gainers), but in a big surprise, joining them was catcher CURE who kept saying on the bench afterwards, "Hey, I'm a tripler too!"  Hitters who had bad days were HIBL, who went cold again after yesterday's big day, TSM, who is struggling at the plate right now, and ORC, who went 0 for 6 with 6 strikeouts.
ORC was up by 5 games with 6 games left and blew it. The twins came on strong and took the division. After the season ended the CEO was fired as was the GM lol
That was such a wonderful ending Guru, lol. You were even kind enough to leave out the part about the Twins getting swept by the Yankees in the playoffs like every season. Sad

NEM and GOLD were my biggest percentage winners today at almost +5%. TSM blazed the trail lower down 2%+. They reported earnings today. I started listening to the conference call but I got bored because it was in Chinese. Smile

Actually ENPH was my biggest percentage loser today but I am not going to mention winners and losers if I only have a few shares. Most of my growthy port I started last fall still only has position sizes of $1500-$2500 so it doesn't really matter much if they have a bad day.
Sherwin-Williams had a great day, Home Depot and Lowes had good days, and you know what that means ... NAIL blasted off into orbit! (7.7% gain)

On the flipside, WEBL took a day to cool off. I bought more.

A special note on Horizon Tech, who came in 3rd today. It is now up 20% for me since I bought it; I never expected such price increase out of a monthly paying dividend stock. I guess it counterbalances Orchid Capital's big fall.
Team effort today. All my pharma and UTEs outperformed the market today. Nothing down enough to even bother computing. I'd have to look but I think this is my 7th or 8th consecutive up week for the port.

Ton of options expired today. I'll have to go see what I was assigned. I had a few I never bothered to roll forward so I think I own some RIO now.