Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your winners & losers today?
(04-11-2021, 09:50 AM)NilesMike Wrote:
(04-11-2021, 07:12 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(04-10-2021, 09:34 PM)NilesMike Wrote: In reality, one only needs to hit on 2-4 stocks over your investing lifetime. If you hold on to the winners.

Even with the big winners, it is a bumpy ride with very large drawdowns.
Two could get it done.  You have to find them early.  I thought I might be early enough on CSCO, MSFT, INTC and a few others but not quite.  I never had a problem with the bumpy ride.  The ones that never recovered were the ones that shook my confidence after 10+ years.

What I found interesting is that 3 giant winners-MCD-HD-MSFT all had similar graphic profiles while multi year dips that didn't recover for a loooong time.

sometimes there are well established companies that go through some kind of falling out/growing/consolidation pains or whatever, but still a sound business overall--an accumulation phase occurs for those that are patient with time on their hands.

most people are not looking to leave millions behind but to live a comfortable retirement, most don't have an opportunity for various reasons to save millions in their working careers--just doesn't work out that way.

and it's true i'd say one only needs 2 to 4 great investments--HOWEVER--one has to be willing to accumulate--for the most part 500 to 2k dollars is not going to just get it done--one has to be willing to invest thousands and thousands more into an equity.

i'm not 100% sure i'll have those 2 to 4 great investments but i'm sure i'll have quite a few good solid investments that i keep nibbling at over time--it's okay to be average i don't need to be a home run hitter

this is what i do, though....i pick a goal and go for it

for example

assets--to go up
investments--to go up
liabilities--to go down

i'll pick a age or calendar year for a goal

an "x" amount of assets by this "age or year"

an  "x" amount of investments by this "age or year"

an "x" amount of liabilities by this "age or year"

then when i get to a certain point, another goal begins

Messages In This Thread
RE: What are your winners & losers today? - by rayray - 04-11-2021, 12:34 PM
What are your winners & losers today? - by 2R45 - 04-29-2021, 08:42 AM
RE: What are your winners & losers today? - by backroadbob - 12-20-2021, 07:11 PM
What are your winners & losers today? - by bankerboy - 01-22-2022, 12:49 PM
What are your winners & losers today? - by bankerboy - 01-28-2022, 08:50 AM