Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your winners & losers today?
Maybe this could match the "what did you buy today" thread?  I thought it would be fun for each of us to share what equities did the best in a given day, and which did the worst?

I'll start.  

Today's not over yet of course, so this could change, but today my best so far is ... RIO.  Which is great because I just bought a whole bunch more a few days ago.

My biggest loser of the day is the triple-leveraged fund NAIL, but I'm okay with that because it's been very hot recently.
Not even sure I remember as some of my highest daily fliers went BK a few years later. My GOATs were probably CSCO and MSFT in the glory days. XEL is my best career stock. It just ground higher until it was a 10X. I am not counting my options as they were leverage of course and my good fortune to time direction correctly. 50% is not an uncommon move in a day or two with options.
(04-07-2021, 12:04 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Not even sure I remember as some of my highest daily fliers went BK a few years later. My GOATs were probably CSCO and MSFT in the  glory days.  XEL is my best career stock.  It just ground higher until it was a 10X.  I am not counting my options as they were leverage of course and my good fortune to time direction correctly.  50% is not an uncommon  move in a day or two with options.

Oh goodness I'm sorry I got the thread title all wrong.  I meant just a daily update of which stock did the best and which did the worst in your portfolio, not of all time.  I think this could match the "What did you buy today" thread for daily chat.
(04-07-2021, 02:05 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 12:04 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Not even sure I remember as some of my highest daily fliers went BK a few years later. My GOATs were probably CSCO and MSFT in the  glory days.  XEL is my best career stock.  It just ground higher until it was a 10X.  I am not counting my options as they were leverage of course and my good fortune to time direction correctly.  50% is not an uncommon  move in a day or two with options.

Oh goodness I'm sorry I got the thread title all wrong.  I meant just a daily update of which stock did the best and which did the worst in your portfolio, not of all time.  I think this could match the "What did you buy today" thread for daily chat.

No I just misunderstood your intent.  My big money is in Vanguard and they don't even list my daily up or down in real dollars on an individual position.  Most boring brokerage I ever had.  TD gives me the up to the minute news.  I can say this is like the second time in a couple weeks my port didn't post an ATH.  I am down like .2% today. I'm thinking about jumping out of my basement window again.  You got time to talk?   Big Grin
I do keep an eye on the moves but I don't really focus much on the daily stuff.
But I don't think I had anything that had a huge run yesterday.

Tech got slapped again, so U and UI took a beating too. In fact these were the only two in my portfolio who moved much yesterday.
Now that I understand the rules I'll try to remember to participate. ENPH is my choppy stock lately. It moves 5%+ at least three times a week. Down 5% yesterday

I do enjoy having a few fast movers in my port, but my port overall is very low beta. A full 1% move in the overall port generally requires a minimum 2% market move.
Well, maybe not everybody is a daily watch-your-stocks junkie, but I probably won't be buying anything for a while, so ...

Today's winner is ... drumroll please ... WEBL, the triple-leveraged Dow Jones bull.

Today's loser is ... drumroll please ... T, with VZ a close second so I guess TeleCom was out of favor today.
added to GILD and XOM
(04-08-2021, 03:48 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Well, maybe not everybody is a daily watch-your-stocks junkie, but I probably won't be buying anything for a while, so ...

Today's winner is ... drumroll please ... WEBL, the triple-leveraged Dow Jones bull.

Today's loser is ... drumroll please ... T, with VZ a close second so I guess TeleCom was out of favor today.
They went ex-div today.  That was some of it. I guess my winner today was ARKF but not really as I own a lot more LMT and it had a good day.
Indeed $0.52 of the T drop was the dividend, the rest was just your regular T drop. Big Grin
(04-09-2021, 01:25 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: Indeed $0.52 of the  T drop was the dividend, the rest was just your regular T drop. Big Grin
I sold covered calls on my shares but it didn't work again.  Still stuck with them.  This isn't my fault anymore. Smile
Alrighty folks, market is closed!

NAIL had a monster day, tripling what Lowe's and Home Depot did which was also impressive. It's the spring and everybody is starting home improvement projects?

Today's biggest faller was ... no surprise here given my earlier grumbling ... JNJ. And that at only 1.06% down, so really not so bad.