Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your winners & losers today?
I might go back to weekly updates here unless there is a notable day. I am not complaining considering market volatility but down about .2% this week. Port is almost 2% off ATH. I am pretty sure that is better than average.

DG was my weekly loser down almost 10%. Oil running strong again this week.
I'm still about $20k down from where January started, and $33k down overall from ATH. It's going to be a while Smile
I've set reasonable expectations for 2022 and so far they seem valid. I see no reason the market should crash hard. I believe it is highly unlikely we see a sustained rally until some things play out which will take half a year or more. If stocks run, the market will likely take it back soon enough. We'll collect income. I''ll sell some options as the market will just churn the premiums away so I can do it again. I might trade a few stocks for entertainment. I might weight a sector a little less or more if it seems to make sense.. But mostly I am sticking to my plan because I am diversified. Half of my investment years looked a lot like this one is starting out.
The joy of dividend growth stocks is that they give you two ways to win. Price increase is the best, but if that's not working out, you still have the dividend increase to look forward to. Also, price increases are also often thwarted later on, whereas dividend cuts are rare.

I'm currently planning an approximately 75/25/10 split of new money into dividend growth / pure growth / income stocks this year, so ideally I'll get up to ~ $1,000/month of yummy dividends.
(01-15-2022, 10:04 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: The joy of dividend growth stocks is that they give you two ways to win.  Price increase is the best, but if that's not working out, you still have the dividend increase to look forward to.  Also, price increases are also often thwarted later on, whereas dividend cuts are rare.

I'm currently planning an approximately 75/25/10 split of new money into dividend growth / pure growth / income stocks this year, so ideally I'll get up to ~ $1,000/month of yummy dividends.
Exactly.  I see the youtube kids down 75% on a port full of no profit companies that pay zero dividends.  I absolutely knew it was coming but take no joy in their pain.  It's an awful feeling to realize you may get zero return from your entire portfolio for five years or more.  Not even a small dividend you can DRIP.  It's not a good feeling, and turns people away from investing for a decade.  We need the younger generations to help us run stocks higher.  When it happened to me I cut my losses, loaded up with JNJ-XEL etc and turned that port off for 5 years.  That is when I learned dividends can take away a lot of the sting eventually.
(01-15-2022, 10:04 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: I'm currently planning an approximately 75/25/10 split of new money into dividend growth / pure growth / income stocks this year

That's 110 percent! You planning on using leverage? Big Grin Tongue Dodgy
(01-16-2022, 11:00 AM)Kerim Wrote:
(01-15-2022, 10:04 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: I'm currently planning an approximately 75/25/10 split of new money into dividend growth / pure growth / income stocks this year

That's 110 percent! You planning on using leverage? Big Grin Tongue Dodgy

Oh man!  I had edited the post from the original 60/30/10, which is probably more accurate.  Thanks for noticing.
He doesn't count 3X ETFs as real leverage lol.
Down a bit over a full percent today. I am still defensive enough but back in the game and have some real risk of losing money once again. My biggest winner was Enbridge. That's a bad sign lol and one of my very few stocks green today.

Hang in there Ken. I know today today was rough with your port. As my father used to say, "put some more water in the soup, better times ahead". He was raised dirt poor on a mule powered Arkansas farm with a lot of siblings so the context was more literal, but I have found that quote useful a time or two in my life.
Hanging in there. Still assuming that after the Omicron wave washes over us and case counts recede that the market will likewise improve shortly after. Predictions indicate it will ebb nationwide sometime in February, so hopefully the market picks up in April. Still those rate increases to deal with though. I don't think this is a year where my port's performance does well; I will just focus on increasing share counts & dividends and wait for sunnier days.
That's a good plan. As long as big tech keeps printing money, the market will rotate back in. Defensive sectors will soon be overpriced and look less attractive. Whether that takes two months or a year is anybody's guess. Nothing has really changed in the last 30 days. There is just too much noise. The world isn't going to stop turning when a few rate increases happen. I do wish they would get it over with and then take a long pause.
(01-10-2022, 05:34 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(01-03-2022, 06:49 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Good start to 2022.  TSM, which I brought back with a small position after getting out too soon, got the win.  SHW took the loss.

Also, it was only a couple weeks ago when I did my top 10 non-ETF ranking, which had the top 5 as:

1. AVGO
2. STX
3. ORCL
4. MSFT
5. OXLC

It now is:

1. AVGO
2. STX
3. OXLC
4. ORCL
5. MSFT

Kind of entertaining Smile  OXLC has so far been second to only RQI in my high yielders for price appreciation, but with double the latter's yield.

Just because it is entertaining, I noticed that MSFT fell out of my top 5.  HTGC replaced it.  It's actually not even that close.  MSFT really tanked.

The morbidity show continues.  OXLC and HTGC are now #2 and #3 in my top 5.  My "value traps" are remarkably hardy in bear markets apparently. I was thinking of deconstructing them after I no longer need high dividend payers, but I think I will keep them.

Overall, my port continues to be crushed. C'est la vie.