Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best HSA portfolio?
Many of us have a Health Savings Account as well.  I'm curious what the forum thinks are the best equities to have in there.

For myself, I've decided it won't have individual stocks, and it won't have leveraged funds.  I currently have ARKW, QQQ, VOO, and SOXX.
Someday a balance fund will make sense again, but not anytime soon. An all world stock index fund might help VOO smooth out the tech funds.
Depends on how soon you think that you will need to hit the HSA. I'm fine with holding individual stocks, but only the widows and orphans stocks. Utilities and decent dividend payers. No extremely high yielders or tech stocks.
(04-06-2021, 08:25 AM)ChadR Wrote: Depends on how soon you think that you will need to hit the HSA.  I'm fine with holding individual stocks, but only the widows and orphans stocks.  Utilities and decent dividend payers.  No extremely high yielders or tech stocks.

Seems like a place where you don't gamble, nor accept a 1% yield.   Money is there if you need it.
Apparently E*Trade isn't the only website with occasional flaws! I just went to my health insurance site (Cigna) and it listed my HSA balance as negative! My heart stopped. But it's just a bug and it's thinking my TD Ameritrade account is negative instead of positive, so it is subtracting the investments from the current cash balance.
Revisiting this topic, I've decided to adopt a 3-tiered pyramid model, where the highest tier is speculative or triple-leveraged (SPXL for example), the middle tier is strong growth or double-leveraged (QQQ or SPUU for example), and the base tier is made up of solid performers (JNJ, VOO for example). Doing some math, the percentages come out to:

Top tier: 3.7%
Middle tier: 25.93%
Bottom tier: 70.37%

Rebalancing downwards will be done once a quarter.
(08-23-2021, 08:36 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Revisiting this topic, I've decided to adopt a 3-tiered pyramid model, where the highest tier is speculative or triple-leveraged (SPXL for example), the middle tier is strong growth or double-leveraged (QQQ or SPUU for example), and the base tier is made up of solid performers (JNJ, VOO for example).  Doing some math, the percentages come out to:

Why are you buying SPXL and SPUU  this late in the cycle. You have a crazy obsession with these type of stocks/etf's  Big Grin

What happens when the market dips big in Oct/Nov? Then what? You will be down a quick 20-25% in a blink of an eye.

Just stick with JNJ and VOO and dollar cost average in on every $10 dip.
(08-23-2021, 09:35 AM)MrFortune Wrote:
(08-23-2021, 08:36 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Revisiting this topic, I've decided to adopt a 3-tiered pyramid model, where the highest tier is speculative or triple-leveraged (SPXL for example), the middle tier is strong growth or double-leveraged (QQQ or SPUU for example), and the base tier is made up of solid performers (JNJ, VOO for example).  Doing some math, the percentages come out to:

Why are you buying SPXL and SPUU  this late in the cycle. You have a crazy obsession with these type of stocks/etf's  Big Grin

What happens when the market dips big in Oct/Nov? Then what? You will be down a quick 20-25% in a blink of an eye.

Just stick with JNJ and VOO and dollar cost average in on every $10 dip.

I get paid every two weeks, which means I have money to contribute to the HSA every two weeks.  So by its very nature, it is a dollar-cost average machine, and I believe that over time, the S&P 500 will continue to grow, therefore the VOO/SPUU/SPXL trilogy will work out.

I know VOO is up 21.44% year-to-date, but that doesn't mean there will be an October/November swoon.  Now it is true that last October was a bad month for my portfolio, but prices now in August/September could still be lower than November 1st prices.