Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1/12th of the way there!
I will check him out. I will give consideration to anyone's opinion as long as they have been investing at least 15yrs. That's long enough to experience at least one beating. Smile it's important to experience the extreme downside. The experience was horrible but I'm thankful it happened sooner than later.
I was in my first 5 years of working during the dot com bust. I wasn't investing in the "e" companies, but I had automated monthly investments in Lucent and Nortel that followed them into the grave. In 2002 I cashed out what was remaining in my portfolio for the downpayment on my first home.
(04-01-2021, 04:51 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: I hope this post isn't out of line; the forum does say "or to brag" and I just wanted to share this milestone with my friends here.  My accumulation goal is $3,000,000, and I'm officially 1/12th of the way there in my E*Trade account as of close of business today!

[Image: 4aa81b01-bb3d-4a50-a25f-72785e1d01c3.png]

Of course, it is April 1st, and I'm absolutely certain my portfolio will be crushed come Monday.  But I'll savor this for the weekend Smile

To get the balance to come out so even, I added a few bucks from my checking account to round it off.

I hope everybody else's portfolios are similarly kicking butt.

Congrats, man.  Hopefully you can use this humble-brag to teach and motivate friends & family.
(04-01-2021, 04:51 PM)Rken-do-nim Wrote: I hope this post isn't out of line; the forum does say "or to brag" and I just wanted to share this milestone with my friends here.  My accumulation goal is $3,000,000, and I'm officially 1/12th of the way there in my E*Trade account as of close of business today!

Of course, it is April 1st, and I'm absolutely certain my portfolio will be crushed come Monday.  But I'll savor this for the weekend Smile

To get the balance to come out so even, I added a few bucks from my checking account to round it off.

Congrats! A quarter of million is certainly a milestone! I’m sure you will hit the 0.5M mark sooner than you’d ever expect.
Thanks everybody. Given that my account stood at $23,697.34 a year ago today, I hope the wild ride continues.
"
What's the difference between 'market' and 'trading account' ?"

For me, market is long term (DGI style) and trading is short term. Options futures and speculative trades.
(04-02-2021, 01:46 PM)Dividendwayfarer Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 04:51 PM)Rken-do-nim Wrote: I hope this post isn't out of line; the forum does say "or to brag" and I just wanted to share this milestone with my friends here.  My accumulation goal is $3,000,000, and I'm officially 1/12th of the way there in my E*Trade account as of close of business today!

Congrats! A quarter of million is certainly a milestone! I’m sure you will hit the 0.5M mark sooner than you’d ever expect.

congratulations!! idk how anything of the sort can be a bragging/out of line on a investment forum lol....like we're all here for the same reason, right?

regarding your 3mil goal...that's my goal too 3mil then retire....it use to be 1.0 to 1.2mil with no mortgage and 1.5mil with still a mortgage hanging over my head...now it's 3mil with or without (wit or witout...lol...) a mortgage

3mil gives a lot of wiggle room
I agree with Ray.  We are all here for the same reason, and sharing successes is good.  It may not be well received if you post daily balance updates to your $3MIL port, but nobody is doing that here lol.

About the only caveat I would add is always remember your beginning when replying to a post.  I know we have folks here contemplating whether they should buy one share of JNJ or AAPL this month because they can only afford to add a couple shares of stock each month.  I will always find time to offer my advice on what is a small trade to me because it's obviously important to them now.  I shouldn't feel it necessary to qualify my advice with my net worth.  It's why I like this forum over others where so many clearly come to put other posters down.  I think we should be honest and critical when required.  I enjoy being challenged.  It's generally not what you say, but how you say it that determines if it's interpreted as an attempt at being helpful.  If you disagree with my advice and go another way, I may shake my head if you lose, but I'll still be cheering if you win.  

Hope that made some sense.  It really is what I like about this place.
Yeah this is a great forum! The last forum I was on used to be great for a while, but it died. Instead of legitimate posts, it got taken over by bots and advertisements. It was a more general financial forum, and other topics like "what to do with the inheritance I just got" and "should I rent or buy" came up frequently. But yeah, one of the nice things here is that we seem to have people in various stages of the journey. I see posts where people are celebrating their first dividend payments, and others where people celebrate getting $60k in dividends a year. (So far $60k in dividends is the tops I've seen anyone mention.)

As to the 3 million goal, it does partly depend of course on how much rent I'm bringing in and whether I get a part-time job in retirement, and whether I have a spouse providing me health insurance or not. I have an ambitious travel schedule lined up for my 60s, including visiting most of the National Parks. I hear the glaciers in Glacier National Park are melting, so I will probably prioritize that one before it becomes a thing of the past, like the local "Old Man of the Mountain" in New Hampshire that is gone.

Using the "AT&T rule", which means that its yield will dictate my overall yield goal when I retire (as opposed to the standard '4% rule'), with some stocks yielding lower and some stocks yielding higher, not that it means I'm putting it all into AT&T, 3 million x 0.0683 = $204,900 a year, which would be great.
"I have an ambitious travel schedule lined up for my 60s, including visiting most of the National Parks. I hear the glaciers in Glacier National Park are melting, so I will probably prioritize that one before it becomes a thing of the past, like the local "Old Man of the Mountain" in New Hampshire that is gone."

Add in Niagara Falls if you haven't been there, it is spectacular!

Whenever we are anywhere in the vicinity (+/- 250 miles) we go see it again, regardless of the season.

It is on par with my other best travel experience of whale watching in Maui. Also must be seen to be believed.