Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Top 10 Largest Holdings (2021)
Just wait; I'm going to start reading up on Bitcoin lol.
(03-22-2021, 07:52 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Just wait; I'm going to start reading up on Bitcoin lol.
Has to be a way to leverage that too.  Catch an up year and you will have a ridiculous return.  I wonder if there is an ETF that buys lotto tickets and places sports bets?  You might be crazy but I get to watch for free so keep us posted lol. Smile
My top 10 as of today (not consider funds in my 401k & HSA account)
1. XOM
2. ABBV
3. MO
4. T
5. UNH
6. AAPL
7. JNJ
8. PM
9. AVGO
10. AMZN
(03-22-2021, 11:45 PM)Dividendwayfarer Wrote: My top 10 as of today (not consider funds in my 401k & HSA account)
1. XOM
2. ABBV
3. MO
4. T
5. UNH
6. AAPL
7. JNJ
8. PM
9. AVGO
10. AMZN

Nice.  I missed out on XOM when it was in the 30s and 40s; do you think it's still worth looking into now?
(03-23-2021, 06:01 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(03-22-2021, 11:45 PM)Dividendwayfarer Wrote: My top 10 as of today (not consider funds in my 401k & HSA account)
1. XOM
2. ABBV
3. MO
4. T
5. UNH
6. AAPL
7. JNJ
8. PM
9. AVGO
10. AMZN

Nice.  I missed out on XOM when it was in the 30s and 40s; do you think it's still worth looking into now?

I will not add at this point but that’s just my opinion. Most stocks in my portfolio I like to hold until the dividend gets cut or I trim to raise cash. With the trend of moving away from fossil fuel, I don’t consider XOM to be a hold forever stock anymore. If your expectation is just to collect the dividend, XOM still has a pretty high yield rate. They are cyclical so they may have short term gain. But personally I am not good enough to time it and that’s not my investment strategy.
(03-23-2021, 06:01 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
1. XOM
2. ABBV
3. MO
4. T
5. UNH
6. AAPL
7. JNJ
8. PM
9. AVGO
10. AMZN

Ken,

When you get serious about building a true DGI port remember this one.  It's a great example of disciplined investing in my opinion.  Here is why I believe that.

Almost everything in his top 8 was thrown to the curb by the market within the past two years or so.  Still in his top ten as he was ignoring the noise and adding to at least some of them.  Now many of them are a little too expensive to buy.  He has a few growth stocks at the bottom of the list that will likely climb the list while he is collecting dividends from the others.  Average dividends on his core holdings are way above SPY.  

As far as XOM...  Commodities are VERY tricky.  Almost always extremely cyclical and I am bad at timing them.  It's not easy to repeatedly get it right.  The following is my opinion.  1.  You either buy them when everyone hates them and wait.  2.  You ride the momentum up and hope you can time your exit before you give most of it back and have to wait possibly years for the next cycle.  

I usually choose #1 and then I sell them too early on the way back up.  Option #2 may be viable now or soon.  The consensus is oil will go up a little or a lot in the next months.  It's hard to imagine it crashes.  

If you want some XOM I'd buy a small amount and spend some time learning commodities.  Pull up a 20+ year chart on oil-natural gas-gold-silver-copper-even semi conductors.  Look how volatile the price can be.  Notice how painfully long the down cycles can last.  Note how fast the prices move in both directions.  If you get shaken out you will lose.  If you get greedy you will lose. I truly do recommend you learn commodities  Throw down $1K and call it tuition if you lose some of it.  XOM yield is sweet so you can be a little patient.  That div was shakey though.  They were borrowing the payout.  XOM was "JNJ safe" for decades.  They aren't going out of business but those days are gone, and probably forever.  XOM is interesting to me here and definitely a little lower if it happens.  If I jump in I bet I am gone in a year or less.  I bailed too soon on option #1 above.
I wouldn't say I'm not serious about building a DGI port; after all, I have about $100k in DGI stocks, it's just that it's not my only strategy, as pure growth and pure income are in my portfolio too. I'm not as diversified as I could be, true, but I'm also hesitant, as you point out, to go into markets I know less about, commodities certainly being one of them. For instance, I used to own PAAS (Pan American Silver) in a prior portfolio. But it's really just cyclical; not very good for a buy-and-hold strategy. So yeah, lots of learning to do.
I never stop learning. Our choices are so diverse. Some are just more difficult than others. I do my best to "know what I don't know". I try to keep position size appropriate while I learn a strategy or sector. Like you, DGI is worthy of a portion of our assets. It's possible that's all you need to do but the same could be said for a basket of index funds. We can't know what is best for the next 20 years. We all enjoy the chase. I have a better idea how to approach commodity stocks but the damage is done. I doubt I will ever have a market beating average. I bet I am even at best. They can really humble you.
My top10 as of today. I surprised myself now, most of those names I was buying heavily a year ago and look where they are now...
1. EMN
2. MMM
3. PM
4. OMC
5. TXN
6. TROW
7. ABBV
8. LOW
9. CMI
10. WBA

By the dividend I get.
1. PM
2. MMM
3. EMN
4. ABBV
5. OMC
6. MO
7. MAIN
8. XOM
9. TROW
10. WBA
(03-22-2021, 10:42 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Including everything in my taxable accounts and my ROTH IRA ...

1. PEGA
2. TECL
3. SOXL
4. TQQQ
5. RETL
6. LABU
7. NAIL
8. AVGO (the first DGI one!)
9. MSFT
10. CURE

As Q2 draws to a close and my portfolio changed a lot, I thought it would be fun to see how my top 10 ranks now.

1. PEGA
2. SOXL
3. TECL
4. TQQQ
5. RETL
6. SPXL
7. CURE
8. FAS
9. TTD (the first stock on the list)
10. GOOGL (the second stock on the list)

Hmm... zero DGI stocks in the top 10 now, though AVGO, TSM, and TGT round out the top 15.

Clearly the Q3/Q4 goal is to bulk up the DGI portion of my portfolio.

And by dividend:

1. OXLC
2. RA
3. AGNC
4. NLY
5. HRZN
6. PCI
7. HTGC
8. ARCC
9. RIO
10. PFL
(03-22-2021, 11:08 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Love these threads, and mister defensive port checks in....

From largest to smallest position, just sold some NEE as I was heavily overweighted due to a put assignment.  

1. AEP
2. LHX
3. NEE
4. LMT
5. BMY
6. XEL
7. JNJ
8. WEC
9. PEP
10. WELL  
1. AEP
2. LMT
3. BMY
4. NEE
5. JNJ
6. WEC
7. XEL
8. NEE
9. RTX
10. TSM  

VSTO, MO and BTI just missed.  MO will be trimmed when the market cooperates.  Finally lost LHX to a covered call exercise.  Wasn't my intent. Surprised AEP is still my top holding.  Not even my favorite UTE.  

And the reality is my second ten are what is making the money this quarter.  Top holdings all decent div stocks with a yield over 3% so I am good and will be patient.
Trim AEP and pick up some DFEN you know want to Smile

I'm curious where SOXX ranks in your holdings.