Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Top 10 Largest Holdings (2021)
Rayray

I am going to guess you will be happy when megatechs are back in style. Nice port BTW and I would ditch GILD. Too easy to find a replacement right now.
(06-02-2022, 06:51 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Rayray

I am going to guess you will be happy when megatechs are back in style.  Nice port BTW and I would ditch GILD. Too easy to find a replacement right now.

thanks!

yes i suppose i will be happy when big tech gets out of this slump

GILD what a freakin' dog--nothing seems to go right for this one--and they did a lot of good for a lot of people

i'll sell and they'll merge with roche or something lol
(06-02-2022, 07:40 PM)rayray Wrote:
(06-02-2022, 06:51 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Rayray

I am going to guess you will be happy when megatechs are back in style.  Nice port BTW and I would ditch GILD. Too easy to find a replacement right now.

thanks!

yes i suppose i will be happy when big tech gets out of this slump

GILD what a freakin' dog--nothing seems to go right for this one--and they did a lot of good for a lot of people

i'll sell and they'll merge with roche or something lol
GILD had the misfortune of their flagship drug curing a disease.  They were never able to replace it.  I owned it back then but not quite early enough for the big score.  I haven't kept up and don't know what they might offer a merger partner.
I have no problem holding GILD. It is down about 9% share price wise and its current yield is about 4.6% - and it is a safe dividend.
(06-03-2022, 01:52 PM)rnsmth Wrote: I have no problem holding GILD.  It is down about 9% share price wise and its current yield is about 4.6% - and it is a safe dividend.
Timing is everything.  You might have a different opinion if your share s were down 50%+.  Pretty sure total return the past 6yrs is actually negative.  That is pretty horrible for somebody in the accumulation phase, during a bull market.  It would have been hard to pick a worse major pharma stock.
(06-03-2022, 07:15 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(06-03-2022, 01:52 PM)rnsmth Wrote: I have no problem holding GILD.  It is down about 9% share price wise and its current yield is about 4.6% - and it is a safe dividend.
Timing is everything.  You might have a different opinion if your share s were down 50%+.  Pretty sure total return the past 6yrs is actually negative.  That is pretty horrible for somebody in the accumulation phase, during a bull market.  It would have been hard to pick a worse major pharma stock.

'timing is everything'

yep--and fenders and i are getting shorter on time LOL
(06-03-2022, 09:28 PM)rayray Wrote:

'timing is everything'

I know you don't like to sell.  Patience is good, but if a company is struggling for a few years, I need to hear the plan that corrects that within a few years.  Otherwise it's probably more opportunity cost.  If I just wanted a dividend stock with a high yield, buying GILD now might be OK because I missed the beating.

'timing is everything'

At the age of 70, I suspect I may be shorter on time than both of you Smile
(06-04-2022, 05:32 AM)rnsmth Wrote:

'timing is everything'

Well 50 years ago you were twice as old as me and that was about the time Ray was born. We are catching up fast Ron Smile
(06-04-2022, 06:13 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(06-04-2022, 05:32 AM)rnsmth Wrote:

'timing is everything'

Well 50 years ago you were twice as old as me and that was about the time Ray was born. We are catching up fast Ron Smile

LOL--that's the way it goes! we catch up LOL

and no one might be grumpier then fenders or me

i forget when, several years ago, maybe more than that, a buddy was like hey happy ray, look it's happy ray--then after a bit they were like we like grumpy ray better, can we have grumpy ray back?
(06-04-2022, 12:53 AM)fenders53 Wrote:

'timing is everything'

I know you don't like to sell.  Patience is good, but if a company is struggling for a few years, I need to hear the plan that corrects that within a few years.  Otherwise it's probably more opportunity cost.  If I just wanted a dividend stock with a high yield, buying GILD now might be OK because I missed the beating.

yes that's the conundrum--i'm down 11%--if i include the divi's i received over the years i got that loss back in divi's paid

low 50's to early 60's it's probable a okay buy as long as those pipelines payoff 

it's treading water and making upper management extremely wealthy and has been for a long time