Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Giving to charity
I'm curious if members here have a system for giving some of their earnings to charity, like do some folk siphon off say 5% of their dividends to charity each year?
Right now I mostly donate time to my church on homeless feeding projects. My wife is quite artistic and sells her work to support an orphanage in southern IL. I intend to leave some of my estate to charity. (probably my church if they continue to do charitable projects). My daughter will have plenty. I don't want her so comfortable she fails to pursue her own career.
Right now, we are donating our time and money to a charity in Cancun that a friend of ours is a major support of. It is a charity that helps kids with cancer in Cancun. It's basically a combo of Make A Wish and a Ronald McDonald house. He is in charge of the annual trip to Disney World for the kids. My wife has been making masks for the kids and for them to sell too. We will leave some of our estate to them if it is still around and the rest to our 2 kids.
(02-13-2021, 10:57 AM)ChadR Wrote: Right now, we are donating our time and money to a charity in Cancun that a friend of ours  is a major support of.  It is a charity that helps kids with cancer in Cancun.  It's basically a combo of Make A Wish and a Ronald McDonald house.  He is in charge of the annual trip to Disney World for the kids.  My wife has been making masks for the kids and for them to sell too.  We will leave some of our estate to them if it is still around and the rest to our 2 kids.

That sounds like a very worthy charity Chad.  It helps that you know who is in charge as some are very wasteful with admin expenses.  Just enough bad apples to make me wary of charities I have little personal knowledge of.
I just donate some money to wikipedia once in a while. Not sure if you guys classify that as a charity, but I'd say free education for everyone is a pretty good cause. (and I use it myself on an almost daily basis)
Anything you willingly do for the betterment of strangers sounds charitable to me.
That all sounds great I was just wondering if anyone had an actual system in place. Maybe when my dividends start crossing the $2000 mark I will give 10% to charity. I like the idea of tying it to my gains.
I'm a great tipper lol...joking..well not really....great tipper cause my mother was a waitress/bartender.

We donate to certain charities and or causes but nothing on a schedule such as you mentioned.

We don't have children, didn't happen for us. We do have siblings, nephews and nieces--Nobody in the family knows we have money saved, they might have an inclination but they don't realize where we stand 100% financially. We'll give an "x amount" to relatives but the bulk of our estate will go to charity when we pass on. The big reason is that our family members are spend-drifts with great ideas--I don't have a problem with that but you do have to WORK for it, not everyone does--that's okay too. However, we want the funds to go towards certain things, adoptions, stroke victims, education, trade skills etc etc etc..to help others in some form not a new corvette or vacation house.