Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's on your watch list?
What are you guys buying/watching lately? Everything I like seems to be overvalued except tech(which I'm already over weight).
Some of my recent buys are DE, IBM and PM.

I think TGT and WMT are at attractive prices for retail.

Many of the oil and gas stocks like CVX, XOM, COP, BP, OXY are also looking good.

Financials like WFC, JPM and AFL are cheap as well.

If you like REIT's they sold off recently with rising interest rates. Some names to consider there that I own or am watching are DLR, OHI, O, ARCP and STAG.
My most recent purchase was PM when it was $85. Now that it's above $90 it's still an attractive buy.

My watch list is around 75 stocks. Some I'm watching but won't buy until they drop about 20% (love WM, but they need to drop about 20% before I would buy any more).

On my short list is DPS (would like to start a position in it), AFL, BP, COP, O, ARCP, DLR, KO, and MO.

I have a full position in PM, but if they hit $85 again, I'll buy even more.
If IBM drops below $185 again I might bite- but I'm knee deep in Apple and Microsoft already. Also SO is within a couple of bucks of my target buy, and I' m light in utilities.

Ronn
Hi fiveoh -- welcome to the forum!

I agree that finding good buys right now is not nearly as straightforward as it was even six months ago. Back then it was not too hard to find quality stocks that were clearly in value territory. Now I feel like I'm choosing among stocks that are fairly valued or less overvalued. I happen to be low on powder in my dividend growth accounts anyway, so between that and prices today, I'm probably going to sit back and just spectate for a few months here. Of course if any bargains do crop up, I'm sure I would be able to scrounge some funds from somewhere.

All that said, in my opinion some of the good DG stocks that are in a reasonable range still (and that I might be tempted to buy) are PM, TGT, XOM, AFL, and maybe even KO, depending on your opinion of its historical premium.

I'd would have definitely have said MCD until the recent dividend announcement -- now I'm not sure I'd put new money into it right now. If the price drops some then I would consider it -- my time horizon is long enough to weather this with MCD, but I'd still want to pick it up at a good price.
(09-19-2013, 10:05 PM)Kerim Wrote: Hi fiveoh -- welcome to the forum!

I agree that finding good buys right now is not nearly as straightforward as it was even six months ago. Back then it was not too hard to find quality stocks that were clearly in value territory. Now I feel like I'm choosing among stocks that are fairly valued or less overvalued. I happen to be low on powder in my dividend growth accounts anyway, so between that and prices today, I'm probably going to sit back and just spectate for a few months here. Of course if any bargains do crop up, I'm sure I would be able to scrounge some funds from somewhere.

All that said, in my opinion some of the good DG stocks that are in a reasonable range still (and that I might be tempted to buy) are PM, TGT, XOM, AFL, and maybe even KO, depending on your opinion of its historical premium.

I'd would have definitely have said MCD until the recent dividend announcement -- now I'm not sure I'd put new money into it right now. If the price drops some then I would consider it -- my time horizon is long enough to weather this with MCD, but I'd still want to pick it up at a good price.

I agree with you here... I just don't like sitting on cash.

Looks like a lot of people here have the same ideas as me. I just bought PM, SO, and DLR last month.

The oil and gas names look cheap on a historical basis, however I think their current valuation is based on an artificially inflated oil price(more supply without demand, but higher because of its relationship with the dollar).
Recently added to positions in MO, PM, LMT, WMT, TGT, PSX. I have enough MO and PM to give you a heart attack!

Dumped WM and LLY after 2.5 years. I like WM but they need to get off the measly 1 cent raises and LLY hasn't raised the dividend since Bush was in office. WM isn't likely to do much until the country decides to get back to work.

MCD and their 5% raise kinda screwed things up for me because I was counting on it becoming a heavyweight position but now I don't think so unless it gets cheap.

I've been watching AMGN for about 6-8 months, since back when it was $82. I didn't pull the trigger and now it's $117. Bummer. CLX below $82 is a little interesting as is PG around $76 or less. I don't think you'd get hurt at those prices unless something crazy happens (which is entirely possible with all smoke and mirrors and BS going around).
The blue chips are looking expensive now, so I have been going down market to find bargains. What currently looks good is CA, CRWS, ELRC, GCI, GES, INTC, KLAC, RES, and STX. A lot of tech in this group.
(09-22-2013, 02:58 PM)KenBob Wrote: The blue chips are looking expensive now, so I have been going down market to find bargains. What currently looks good is CA, CRWS, ELRC, GCI, GES, INTC, KLAC, RES, and STX. A lot of tech in this group.

I own GCI and am sitting on a 33% gain so far. However, the more I think about I don't know that its really a dividend growth stock. I bought it this spring because I thought it was a great value and I thought Gannett was doing things right in shifting to an online pay-wall for subscribers.

It still has a decent yield at 3.1%, but the dividend has been cut several times in the last 10 years and hasn't been raised since the beginning of 2012. I plan on giving it another quarter or two to see if this changes, but I'm keeping a close eye on it.
I have three blue chips and one smaller stock on my watch list - GE, CVX, JNJ and GK. I'm waiting for the taper/budget dust to settle before I buy....
Watch list:
ARCP, a beaten down proper REIT
GLNG, LNG carrier
HCLP, NG services company
MSFT
OB, insurer
RWX, ex. U.S. REIT fund
SDRL, oil rig leasing
SNH, medical REIT
WPC, property REIT

Own none of these at this time.
Alex
(09-19-2013, 09:02 PM)fiveoh Wrote: What are you guys buying/watching lately? Everything I like seems to be overvalued except tech(which I'm already over weight).