Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best one to cite as an example?
(11-24-2020, 06:27 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 03:31 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(11-20-2020, 03:34 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: JNJ - this is pretty much my default for an example into dividend & dividend growth investing. And it's a very, very common name in DGI portfolios.

I owned JNJ for many years.  It was my favorite stock in the portfolio I ended up surrendering in the divorce.  Hopefully I'll get it back sometime.  But the dividend is only 2.76%, which is better than bank interest but perhaps not the best choice for someone who is looking for supplemental income.

ED - excellent!  3.94%, and it's held its value well.  I'll have to pick this up when I have money again Smile
UTEs are great examples.  When the day comes to buy, do a screen and look at the candidates in the desired yield range.  Then look at the past and projected growth rates.  If DUK for example was yielding .25% less and growing their utility business 2% faster for the next few years, that's a very easy decision for me.  There is a high probability I'll have 10%+ more capital in the faster grower in only a few years.  You usually have several choices.

Sorry what does UTE stand for? I'm guessing the E is for Energy. DUK looks like another good one!

I expect to be able to resume building my portfolio again in April 2021, so I'll start being more active here then. I had the simultaneous blows of a tree falling in my yard and car repairs last month, which set me back 6 grand, plus I have to provide a higher than normal end of year child support payment to the ex.

Messages In This Thread
Best one to cite as an example? - by ken-do-nim - 11-19-2020, 10:44 PM
RE: Best one to cite as an example? - by EricL - 11-20-2020, 10:30 AM
RE: Best one to cite as an example? - by ken-do-nim - 11-25-2020, 07:36 AM