Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Baseball Thread!!!
(10-18-2020, 05:33 PM)ken-do-nim Wrote: Red Sox fan here.  I did get to see Pedro Martinez pitch a couple decades ago, but I happened to pick a day when he had to be pulled after 5 innings because his arm/shoulder was balking.  He was a very frail pitcher.  

Best game I ever went to was when the Red Sox played the Mariners.  The Mariners had a great ballclub back then, but they didn't have much of a bullpen.  It was a crazy game; Ken Griffey Jr surprised everybody by trying to bunt for a base hit.  By the end of the game, the Sox were down something like 5-4 but Nomar Garciappara came up with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th and hit a grand slam.  We all chanted "MVP!  MVP!" as he rounded the bases.  It was probably 1998.
Good, we can hate the Yankees together.  Smile

Dodgers and Rays in the World Series. Maybe this will be the Dodger's year finally.
Dodgers win. Pleased we had some attempt at a baseball season. Hopefully things are better by next April.
Baseball's back!!!! Complete with partial fans in the stands and plenty of politics. I am going to close my eyes on the politics part as I will not have my joy stolen.

A couple milestones for my Minnesota Twins already. BP blew a 9th inning three run lead game one. It was hard to watch. Jose Berrios probably annoyed he wasn't the opening day starter in game 2. 17Ks dealing a one hit shutout. I'll take it!
2 Words

YERMIN

MERCEDES
(04-04-2021, 08:33 AM)NilesMike Wrote: 2 Words

YERMIN

MERCEDES

There's a player named Yermin?  Why that's so unusual.

My favorite baseball player name of all time is Yhency Brazoban.  Asdrubal Cabrera is probably 2nd.  Yermin, gotta let that one sink in.
(04-04-2021, 08:03 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Baseball's back!!!!  Complete with partial fans in the stands and plenty of politics.  I am going to close my eyes on the politics part as I will not have my joy stolen.  

A couple milestones for my Minnesota Twins already.  BP blew a 9th inning three run lead game one.  It was hard to watch.  Jose Berrios probably annoyed he wasn't the opening day starter in game 2.  17Ks dealing a one hit shutout.  I'll take it!

Ouch.  I still think the Twins will be miles better than my Red Sox.  My original prediction was 81-81 ish; after 2 games I'm thinking more like 40-122.  Or maybe the Sox will be the first 0-162 team?
Please, both of y'all have better teams than the Rangers. Through our first 2 games, we blew a 5 run lead in the 1st game and a 4 run lead in the second game. Guarantee that both the Twins and Red Sox end the season with better records than my Rangers. Lets blow a 3 run lead and lose today and then our Home Opener on Monday.
My Red Sox seem to have pretty good pitching but zero hitting. Your Rangers seem to have pretty good hitting but zero pitching. I say we put them together and make one team.
(04-04-2021, 08:58 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote:
(04-04-2021, 08:03 AM)fenders53 Wrote: Baseball's back!!!!  Complete with partial fans in the stands and plenty of politics.  I am going to close my eyes on the politics part as I will not have my joy stolen.  

A couple milestones for my Minnesota Twins already.  BP blew a 9th inning three run lead game one.  It was hard to watch.  Jose Berrios probably annoyed he wasn't the opening day starter in game 2.  17Ks dealing a one hit shutout.  I'll take it!

Ouch.  I still think the Twins will be miles better than my Red Sox.  My original prediction was 81-81 ish; after 2 games I'm thinking more like 40-122.  Or maybe the Sox will be the first 0-162 team?
I never quite understand the BOSOX strategy from the front office.  One year spending crazy money trying to beat the Yanks and lately the Rays. A few years later dumping stars like they don't even care if they win.  Twins will likely be competitive and that is all I ever wish for.  I'll see a few games live and life 2will be normal again.  White Sox have some crazy good talent though.  Cleveland dumped pitching so who knows.  Their offense was horrible last year so they don't worry me yet.  

I love April baseball while we learn who maybe has a chance.
I think the Boston strategy is crystal clear. They are trying to spend low because they know they won't be competitive until next year at the earliest. 2021 is a waste. But I expect a huge offseason as they go all in for 2022.
I much prefer the small market teams that try to be competitive every year but it's a business more than a game now.
(04-04-2021, 10:26 AM)ken-do-nim Wrote: My Red Sox seem to have pretty good pitching but zero hitting.  Your Rangers seem to have pretty good hitting but zero pitching.  I say we put them together and make one team.

It only looks like we have good hitting because we are playing the Royals.  Once we start playing the teams with good pitching staffs, our lack of pitching and hitting will be apparent.  We are in a true rebuilding.  I think they're trying to improve on next year's draft position since we are drafting second this year.  Going for that #1 pick.