Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charles Schwab question
I am thinking about moving some of our accounts to Charles Schwab. Does anyone have a recent experience with their brokerage?

I am looking for feedback about  operations (including web and streetsmart edge), reliability and performance of the platform and of course support.
(05-13-2020, 10:14 AM)MikeWa Wrote: I am thinking about moving some of our accounts to Charles Schwab. Does anyone have a recent experience with their brokerage?

I am looking for feedback about  operations (including web and streetsmart edge), reliability and performance of the platform and of course support.

I've been with Schwab for several years and the platform has worked just fine for me. I haven't used the Streetsmart Edge or any support so I can't comment on that. Reliability-wise, I haven't had any issues to speak of.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(05-13-2020, 11:09 AM)EricL Wrote:
(05-13-2020, 10:14 AM)MikeWa Wrote: I am thinking about moving some of our accounts to Charles Schwab. Does anyone have a recent experience with their brokerage?

I've been with Schwab for several years and the platform has worked just fine for me. I haven't used the Streetsmart Edge or any support so I can't comment on that. Reliability-wise, I haven't had any issues to speak of.

Thank you Eric!

I've only used their web-based interface, but it works great. Second only to Ameritrade, IMHO. Merrill is a dumpster fire and should be avoided.
I have an account with Fidelity too, and it seems to work just fine. Has a bit more research options, although I don't like the account page layout quite as well.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
(05-13-2020, 11:19 AM)Otter Wrote:

I've only used their web-based interface, but it works great. Second only to Ameritrade, IMHO. Merrill is a dumpster fire and should be avoided.

LOL, I am with Merrill with most of our accounts. Thanks
(05-13-2020, 11:25 AM)EricL Wrote: I have an account with Fidelity too, and it seems to work just fine. Has a bit more research options, although I don't like the account page layout quite as well.

Thanks. I already have a relationship with Schwab (not brokerage) so they are my first choice.

Don't want to have too many different brokerage providers, but still want to diversify. Currently we have Merrill and Ameritrade. Ameritrade will be moved this year to Schwab. If I move some accounts from Merrill to Schwab, we will have two brokerage companies, Merrill and Schwab.
(05-13-2020, 11:27 AM)MikeWa Wrote:
(05-13-2020, 11:19 AM)Otter Wrote:

LOL, I am with Merrill with most of our accounts. Thanks

I use them, too, as they had a nice sign up bonus when I started that account. Their trading interface is clunky (options are abysmal), and they flat out block purchases of certain leveraged ETFs (doesn't matter how much you have in the account, they will not allow purchases of certain ETFs like UVXY). They are slow in giving access to transferred funds for trading purposes (Ameritrade gives instant access), and if you don't want to do all of your banking through Bank of America, everything is just an extra hassle to accomplish. 

I'm hoping Schwab adopts Ameritrade's platform after the switchover. Would be foolish not to, as Ameritrade has the best tech in the industry.
(05-13-2020, 11:31 AM)MikeWa Wrote:
(05-13-2020, 11:25 AM)EricL Wrote: I have an account with Fidelity too, and it seems to work just fine. Has a bit more research options, although I don't like the account page layout quite as well.

Thanks. I already have a relationship with Schwab (not brokerage) so they are my first choice.

Don't want to have too many different brokerage providers, but still want to diversify. Currently we have Merrill and Ameritrade. Ameritrade will be moved this year to Schwab. If I move some accounts from Merrill to Schwab, we will have two brokerage companies, Merrill and Schwab.
I agree.  Too many accounts has it's downside.  I have settle on two now that I have my 401K in my possession.  Most of my money is in Waterhouse due to extremely low fees for everything, and decent return on cash that is easy to flip around.  I couldn't live without my TD Ameritrade account though.  The interface and research functions are about all you could ever expect for free.  They are pretty loose with the restrictions too.  I think I could send them a PIC of my house deed and they would let me day trade naked options on margin the next day lol.  OK, not quite that loose, but I find them very cooperative.  Smile