Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Speculative Stocks....
(02-04-2020, 03:35 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Olin OLN.  It's a chemicals company that sells ammo and other product to the US GOV and the recreational shooters.  They own Winchester but it's a small part of their foray.  CFRA has a strong buy opinion on them.

Sounds like an interesting pick, especially with that nice div yield. I'll definitely take a closer look when I have the time. 

IIPR definitely deserves a mention here. So far, so good. And I do think it still has a lot of room to run if the business keeps performing like it has during the past year. 

MEOH. Swings pretty wildly, for understandable reasons. This is super cyclical, the company looks ok even for a longer term hold, but you really, REALLY, need to pick your entry. (now might not be a horrible time, kinda depends on what happens in China with the virus)

UI. Love it. Love it. Love it. They have their own way of doing things, which leads to ridiculous margins compared to competitors. And apparently their products are both good and cheap, but no first hand experience from that. The long term fundamentals are great but this is not for the faint of heart.

And a bonus for you fenders, because you love things that sound weird.
Sensys Gatso.
Definitely the most speculative one in this post. Trades in Stockholm, Sweden. Totally a microcap stock, not even profitable at the moment. But they are one of the leading names in traffic enforcement technology. (speed cameras, red light cameras, all sorts of funky stuff that sends you a ticket for being a bad person)
Well my OLN pick was timely lol.  Earnings were rough as the street expected. The have paid dividends for over 90 years straight so I will be adding some shares. They sell chlorine products used for sewage/water treatment. They aren't going out of business.  They are cyclical for sure but they may qualify as a DGI stock if you don't mind some volatility due to their size.  They go ex-div Friday so I won't be surprised if they go lower into next week. 

Probably helpful if we are honest on these spec picks. I'm in OLN sub 15. I'm going to give that back when market opens today. Al of my previous put sales expired worthless, but I now have a few in the money. Premiums are great so I'll roll them forward until I like the entry price.  OLN tends to trade with Dupont and Dow as they should. The next 2nd Amendment drama /ammo hoarding episode will move it too though I'm not so sure that affects fundamentals that much. I have more research to do before I would jump in deep.

Crimson, thanks, I will check out all the picks mentioned on this thread. I have room for about two more specs. Folks are likely to share picks that have already been successful so timing is going to be prudent I suspect. I don't want anyone here to lose money on my great idea from 2018 lol.
Tiny update on a couple of those speculative picks I mentioned above.
UI released their quarterly report and were down 15% yesterday.
Sensys Gatso released news that they will be awarded a major contract in central america. Up 15% yesterday.

There certainly are the types where you better hold onto your hat. Tongue
(02-08-2020, 02:38 AM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: Tiny update on a couple of those speculative picks I mentioned above.
UI released their quarterly report and were down 15% yesterday.
Sensys Gatso released news that they will be awarded a major contract in central america. Up 15% yesterday.

There certainly are the types where you better hold onto your hat. Tongue

Yes they are. OLN had a rough week until then went up after reporting bad earnings.
Will get short SIX @ 37.65 if it comes.
(02-08-2020, 05:33 PM)NilesMike Wrote: Will get short SIX @ 37.65 if it comes.

Why wait?  Smile
It's a pattern trade that I do. Failed reversals. SIX in a downtrend, 2 weeks ago closed above previous week's high (indicating potential reversal of downtrend) last week was a pause. If it goes lower, I'm on it. It may just be a rip higher, then my resting order will be cancelled.

I like for the market to show me where it's going before I join in.
(02-08-2020, 06:08 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(02-08-2020, 05:33 PM)NilesMike Wrote: Will get short SIX @ 37.65 if it comes.

Why wait?  Smile
6 trades since May in SIX +22.5%. Total times in market 55 days. I shoot for 5% per trade. Shorts are more profitable and quicker in general. That profit is rolled into DGI stocks for when I wish to stop working. It is a bit of work to trade this and don't think the Mrs. would be able/willing to do it upon my demise, so the profits go more to passive.

Attached Files Image(s)

I can't think of a fundamental catalyst that could cause it to move up in the short-term.  Probably about as safe as a short ever gets with the bad chart and financials. Let us know how you do.
(02-08-2020, 09:53 PM)fenders53 Wrote: I can't think of a fundamental catalyst that could cause it to move up in the short-term.  Probably about as safe as a short ever gets with the bad chart and financials. Let us know how you do.

Will be one of three things.
Lose 3%
Win 5%
Nothing happens as it goes long.

I like +5 70% of the time, -2 to -3 30% of the time. 2.6% positive expectancy per trade.