Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sunday head scratcher
Just played around a bit and there was good news and bad news. 

Most of my real port was in the SP500 and Russell until last year, so life is good.  I did have a few smallish taxable ports I held just a few stocks in through your entire 2009 to present period.

The beloved DGI JNJ- 11.27% vs 14.34%  That's a pretty significant miss but I can live with it.  

XEL, my best stock ever.  15.77%,  Not reality though because I bought every dip like I believed for 20+ years.  It's about a 10 bagger for me.  A Utes of all things is my best pick ever.

PFE was underwhelming.  11.6% during your date range.  Problem is I bought most of it around 1998 so only 5.27%  Take PFE back to 1985 and $10,000 is almost a cool half a milly.  I am only sitting on like $4K Valuation for every $1000 invested.  21 yrs ago so pretty weak.  

Had a smallish trading account I played with and got burned bad on KMI and SDRL 4-5 years ago.  Let's not talk about a few penny stocks. It was supposed to be fun but it wasn't lol. That was gambling money.  Good thing because I lost over half of it and that's with some good stocks like AAPL and MSFT mixed in their. That was a horrible adventure.

Took complete control of my retirement funds last year.  You'll have to tell me what you think of my 2019 returns through NOV.  My modest goal was minimum 4% through good and bad years, with a real shot at 6-8%.  This port has been about 50% cash on average all year.  The other half DGI and Utes with my extreme use of put and call sales to further reduce risk since I thought the big one was surely coming by now.  Anyway my 2019 return is about 17% overall.  I can live with that given my asset allocation.  I think the S&P is up about 27% so risk on would have obviously done better.  IMO my risk posture was only 40% of the S&P most of the time.

Messages In This Thread
Sunday head scratcher - by NilesMike - 12-08-2019, 02:54 PM
RE: Sunday head scratcher - by fenders53 - 12-08-2019, 07:57 PM
RE: Sunday head scratcher - by NilesMike - 12-09-2019, 05:44 PM
RE: Sunday head scratcher - by fenders53 - 12-09-2019, 09:29 PM