Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
favorite financial paper/online source?
(11-26-2019, 08:42 PM)rayray Wrote: Years ago I tried getting an investment club together--it didn't work. All I had was others telling me my dividend investment plan was not going to work. Funny thing I wasn't trying to convince any of the others to follow the same plan, I just wanted a few of us interested in investing and paying attention to our retirement funds get together once every month or two and talk about financial topics.

Hell, I make my own wine, have good bourbon and was willing to even cook!

And here I am on the forum lol

It was a good experience overall.  I learned a lot.  We peaked at about 12 members.  Like most clubs, in the end all the work is done by just a few.  A few lost interest when they discovered it wasn't a get rich quick plan.  You really need 3-5 serious stock nerds to keep it active and not dominated by the decisions of a few.  This forum would make a fun investing club.  We'd argue until the cows came home but collectively we'd be very successful.  I'd go all in on our collective investing minds. Towards the very end the club would buy about anything I presented as they trusted me. I knew better than to make the club port as aggressive as my personal port. I understood risk better than they did and didn't want to betray their trust. An investment club would be far easier to conduct now.  Due to commissions we were mostly confined to stocks with direct investment and free DRIP programs.  We were only making $3-500 monthly purchases.  We dissolved just prior to the tech bubble and that was a blessing.  

To my recollection here is what we acquired from about 1994-1999.  

PG
CL
INTC
MSFT
NWL
RPM
MOT 
LU
KO
PEP
MCD
WMT
DE

There were a couple more I don't recall.  Whomever made Sara Lee or Dolly Madison snacks.  And the YUM spin off from our PEP shares.  I think we dumped our worthless YUM shares for like $10 lol, but we only had a few of those.      

Most of those aged very well. Lucent and Motorola are the big busts on that list but we got lucky and dissolved at the right time.

Messages In This Thread
RE: favorite financial paper/online source? - by fenders53 - 11-27-2019, 09:47 AM