Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Building a high quality port, Sector-Healthcare
I'll stop posting the into paragraph after this thread.....  

I thought we might pool our knowledge and build a very high quality port together.  Sector by sector.  I'll ask that you not copy your entire port into this thread.  You can post again later.  Healthcare is diverse to include pharma, equipment, insurance, biotech, etc.  Maybe follow a few basic rules....

1. Pick one or two stocks and tell us why they would be your pick if you could only choose a few stocks from each sector.
2.  Assume a five year hold minimum, because if it's truly good for five it's probably good for 25.  Five years is enough time to sort out current challenges.
3.  Ignore current valuation for the most part.  Entry matters of course, but great ports aren't built overnight anyway.   
4.  Suggest a stock you have some conviction to own soon.  Suggest a stock you would avoid. 

Bristol-Myers Squibb, BMY  This one may take some patience with the Celgene  merger in progress.  It's a strong buy IMO.  One of the few healthcare stocks with a very reasonable PE.  The dividend is well above 3%.  Revenue growth projected above 10%.  They have some debt to contend with.

Stocks to avoid?  This is a tougher one.  Most have litigation risk at some point.  I tend to avoid pure biotech plays.  It's challenging to find one that can go five years without hitting a very rough patch.                   
Johnson & Johnson, JNJ. Hard to not go with the bluest of blue chips. Probably a little overvalued right now, but not too bad. 2.9% dividend for an extremely safe stock. Always great to load up on them during any dips.

Stock to avoid would be General Electric, GE. Yeah, I'm probably cheating here, but they do have exposure to healthcare.
Fenders, sorry!

ABBV--buy
AMGN--buy
CELG--hold
GILD--buy

JNJ--hold/buy

CAH--buy

CVS--buy
WBA--buy

OHI--hold
SBRA--hold

VTR--hold
WELL--hold

AFL--buy

It's what I own--at the moment, even with the recent price increase I really like ABBV

The only reason why I didn't mention a stock I don't own is because I haven't looked at anything I don't own in a while since I've been building up positions I already own.

wow...lol..that last sentence is like

you're da guy that told da guy that I'm da guy that hit da guy square in da eye
(10-04-2019, 05:52 PM)rayray Wrote: Fenders, sorry!

ABBV--buy
AMGN--buy
CELG--hold
GILD--buy

JNJ--hold/buy

CAH--buy

CVS--buy
WBA--buy

OHI--hold
SBRA--hold

VTR--hold
WELL--hold

AFL--buy

It's what I own--at the moment, even with the recent price increase I really like ABBV

The only reason why I didn't mention a stock I don't own is because I haven't looked at anything I don't own in a while since I've been building up positions I already own.

wow...lol..that last sentence is like

you're da guy that told da guy that I'm da guy that hit da guy square in da eye
You forgot to read the rules.  You should sell some of that while you can lol.
(10-04-2019, 01:53 PM)ChadR Wrote: Johnson & Johnson, JNJ.  Hard to not go with the bluest of blue chips.  Probably a little overvalued right now, but not too bad.  2.9% dividend for an extremely safe stock.  Always great to load up on them during any dips.

Stock to avoid would be General Electric, GE.  Yeah, I'm probably cheating here, but they do have exposure to healthcare.

Strongly agree.  I've owned JNJ for over 20 years.  I never traded it all that time, but sold some around 148 because it was getting a little frothy IMO, but buying it back gradually now.  The next twenty won't likely be like the last 20 because it is so huge, but seems like a hold forever stock if there ever was one.  There a lot of healthcare stocks I find attractive with patience.  Perhaps more than any other sector.
A little old and not a light read but some may find it useful.

https://www.suredividend.com/wp-content/...d-Risk.pdf