Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you buy...
Question of the day. Say you were starting from scratch with your portfolio, what stock would you start with based on recent stock prices?

I see a lot of buyers or JNJ, but that is my largest holding and I really don’t want to add to that position, but if I were starting from scratch it would be a strong possibility at current prices.
With a start from scratch portfolio, I would put someone into a higher payer and possibly a monthly payer. That way you get them interested and they can see the money coming into their account.

I do like JNJ at these prices and will probably be buying some more for my account, but I would probably go with O, T, ABBV, and IBM for a start from scratch portfolio.
Would be PM, MO, ABBV, MMM, ENB probably.
I'm going to ignore the "current prices" requirement some because there isn't much I regard as inexpensive to include JNJ, as good as that stock has treated me. I think some of the following are possibly in for a rough ride but with a 10+ year investing timeline.

A dominant UTE. AEP or NEE, somebody pursuing clean energy on the side. May not be viable for decades bit it won't matter.

A pharma stock, perhaps PFE, BMY, maybe LLY ar ABV. There are more for sure.

An industrial- BA, maybe MMM if I got a better dip. A defense contractor which I own none of right now and regret.

Financial- Maybe JPM, BAC, V, or even an insurance company with a current high Div. MET has been good to me.

Oil-Not a chance for the long-term, and I own plenty now.

Sin stock- Not a chance I would buy MO again. It's a CD for a long time IMO.

Consumer non-durable- Maybe PEP because they are wise enough to diversify. IMO most of the big ones are safe enough if you hold forever.

I'd need a high growth company. AMZN is as good as anything longterm. So are most of the mega-cap tech stocks that are #1 or #2 in their sub-sector. Need a good dividend because a beat down is coming next recession. I have zero doubt of that. I need a 5G play too.
If I was putting new money to work I wouldn't base it on whats at the highs or lows. I would base it on quality and leadership and where I think the future looks bright.

I love the aerospace industry and like 4 stocks - LMT, LHX, LDOS and BAH (LDOS and BAH have a lot room to rum)

Pharma - ABT, MRK and JNJ

Financials - JPM, BAC, TD and WFC

Sin Stocks - MO and PM (Mo is dirt cheap here and no CD pays 6.5% on return lol)

MA and V (There's never a wrong time to buy these names)

Home Improvement - HD, LOW and SHW

Entertainment - DIS

Waste - WM

Food - MCD, SBUX, YUM and PEP

Tech - IBM, MSFT, and APPL

There's a lot more names but this is enough to start with lol

I'm not high on utilities and think the entire sector is over valued and MMM I am staying clear of for time being.
(07-29-2019, 06:52 AM)divmenow Wrote: If I was putting new money to work I wouldn't base it on whats at the highs or lows. I would base it on quality and leadership and where I think the future looks bright.

I love the aerospace industry and like 4 stocks - LMT, LHX, LDOS and BAH (LDOS and BAH have a lot room to rum)

Sin Stocks - MO and PM (Mo is dirt cheap here and no CD pays 6.5% on return lol)

Entertainment - DIS

Waste - WM

I'm not high on utilities and think the entire sector is over valued and MMM I am staying clear of for time being.
Well you almost made it to the end of your post without bringing up current valuation.

-If you're nice to me I might throw you some UTE picks sometime so you too can have some safe ten baggers.  

-Maybe some day I'll recover from buying MO on this forum's recommendation?  Can somebody PayPal me some gas money so I can head down to the food pantry today?  If something doesn't change for the better, I got a very long wait to get even on MO.  In retrospect an international sin stock was a better idea. 

Just kidding lol, but our personal investing experiences taint our views on sectors and stocks.  It's almost as if when you bought it actually matters.  Except for RayRay of course because he is going to live 150 years.  Smile
I bought MO under $50 so I can wait it out lol. PM had great earnings so I see the same like move with MO when they report. I think JUUL will be a money maker for them
(07-29-2019, 08:19 AM)stockguru Wrote: I bought MO under $50 so I can wait it out lol. PM had great earnings so I see the same like move with MO when they report. I think JUUL will be a money maker for them

So you aren't PayPaling me any gas money today are you?  Figures lol Smile 

I'm not even sure what my MO basis is, and I've sold some covered calls to ease the pain.  It's going to be awhile before I am back to even.  The rest of my positions make it look like a poor decision of course.
Big Grin 
(07-29-2019, 07:34 AM)fenders53 Wrote:
(07-29-2019, 06:52 AM)divmenow Wrote: If I was putting new money to work I wouldn't base it on whats at the highs or lows. I would base it on quality and leadership and where I think the future looks bright.

Entertainment - DIS

Waste - WM

Well you almost made it to the end of your post without bringing up current valuation.

-If you're nice to me I might throw you some UTE picks sometime so you too can have some safe ten baggers.  

-Maybe some day I'll recover from buying MO on this forum's recommendation?  Can somebody PayPal me some gas money so I can head down to the food pantry today?  If something doesn't change for the better, I got a very long wait to get even on MO.  In retrospect an international sin stock was a better idea. 

Just kidding lol, but our personal investing experiences taint our views on sectors and stocks.  It's almost as if when you bought it actually matters.  Except for RayRay of course because he is going to live 150 years.  

I've been nice. 
(07-29-2019, 03:53 PM)NilesMike Wrote:
(07-29-2019, 07:34 AM)fenders53 Wrote: -If you're nice to me I might throw you some UTE picks sometime so you too can have some safe ten baggers.  

I've been nice. 
You've been very nice Mike.  When I find the next one I'm going to tell you first lol.

I've owned a lot of stocks the past 35 years and it's pretty crazy a UTE is my lifetime best pick.  I purchased XEL when it dropped 60%+.  I don't even recall the reason for the decline, but I wondered what Minneapolis would do if they went out of business.  It was Northern States Power NSP at the time and, of course they had no real competitors, nor did they go out of business and merged later.  Anyway, I collected some big DRIP all these years due to my entry point when I luckily caught the bottom around $7.50 SP.  It took over 15 years but my one and only ten bagger.  Bettter than a ten bagger actually.  I've owned a lot of high flying tech stocks but I have never timed it like this.  It's good to be lucky.  Sadly I only bought like 125 shares but that was a bold purchase for me back then.
(07-29-2019, 06:06 PM)fenders53 Wrote:
(07-29-2019, 03:53 PM)NilesMike Wrote:
(07-29-2019, 07:34 AM)fenders53 Wrote: -If you're nice to me I might throw you some UTE picks sometime so you too can have some safe ten baggers.  

I've been nice. 
You've been very nice Mike.  When I find the next one I'm going to tell you first lol.

I've owned a lot of stocks the past 35 years and it's pretty crazy a UTE is my lifetime best pick.  I purchased XEL when it dropped 60%+.  I don't even recall the reason for the decline, but I wondered what Minneapolis would do if they went out of business.  It was Northern States Power NSP at the time and, of course they had no real competitors, nor did they go out of business and merged later.  Anyway, I collected some big DRIP all these years due to my entry point when I luckily caught the bottom around $7.50 SP.  It took over 15 years but my one and only ten bagger.  Bettter than a ten bagger actually.  I've owned a lot of high flying tech stocks but I have never timed it like this.  It's good to be lucky.  Sadly I only bought like 125 shares but that was a bold purchase for me back then.

Nice, and it is much better to be lucky than good!
CSCO is looking interesting after today's drop. Very close to 3% yield. Will add more if the slide continues.