Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KMI
Just picked up 139 shares of KMI @ just over $35. By buy was sub $36.

Anyone else eyeing KMI?

Ronn
Have 45 shares and have been wanting to add to my position. At the current price, it's hard not to like it. It is on my short list for purchase for next month. Love for it to stay here or drop a little lower over the next month.
I've never taken a close look at KMI because, like a number of other great dividend growth stocks, I am prohibited from owning shares in it directly because of my job. It certainly gets a lot of good attention as a DG stock and makes a lot of people's core holdings lists, and its high yield is really attractive. I'd love to hear what folks have to say about it, for my mental files, at least.
Glad that I have a job that doesn't preclude me from buying any stock that I want. Here are a few reasons that I initially purchased and will probably buy more KMI stock.

1) While not having a long dividend history, its short dividend history is very impressive. Its first dividend was paid in April 2011. It has raised its dividend every quarter except for one quarter since it started paying a dividend. It has gone from $0.14/quarter to $0.40/quarter in 10 quarters. Hard to ignore the quarterly raises. While I believe that this will end within the next few years and drop to yearly raises, I will enjoy the ride while it lasts.

2) It's a "toll road" with a very wide moat. KMI gets its fee for use of their pipelines no matter what the price of commodities are currently. Also, hard for new entrants to enter this business.

3) It's now yielding 4.56%. Great yield with a short dividend growth history makes it hard to ignore.

4) Institutional ownership of over 57% and its CEO is Richard Kinder. He's had a great history in business and I'm OK following his lead.

Now there are a few things to take into account. Its debt load is fairly high and its P/E is higher than I usually like (greater than 20).
"1) While not having a long dividend history, its short dividend history is very impressive. Its first dividend was paid in April 2011. It has raised its dividend every quarter except for one quarter since it started paying a dividend. It has gone from $0.14/quarter to $0.40/quarter in 10 quarters. Hard to ignore the quarterly raises. While I believe that this will end within the next few years and drop to yearly raises, I will enjoy the ride while it lasts."

Dont forget that KMI DOES have a long history: I have held KMP ever since $18/share way back in the early 90s. Later on, KMI was born, and so I bot that. However, all shares were recalled and I was forced to give them back. KMI went private. More recently, it was reintroduced, and THAT was what you referred to.

BTW, at a recent presentation, Kinder advised buying KMR, and not the other two, FWIW
Don't have any KMI but have eyed their family of investments for some time. Recently added 50 shares of KMP @$79.02, added as a long term position to my long term cash account. Probably should have bought KMR which pays in shares, as is selling at an almost $5 discount to KMP.

Edited to correct share cost
Alex
"Recently added 50 shares of KMP @$39.51,"

did you mean KMI?
or did you mean KMP a few years ago