Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Depot, an ongoing discussion....
(08-17-2019, 10:21 PM)NilesMike Wrote: 1) No problem conceptually, however tons of businesses come out and give free estimates on jobs that take a lot more time than measuring a rough opening.

2) Not my problem as to their inefficiency, they are setting the price for the install. Easy ones, tough ones already factored in.

3) I popped the trim, measured and reinstalled trim. No problem.

My carpenter nephew installed the stock door and storm door in a couple of hours.
It's a supply-demand thing here.  Good ecoomies cause that.  It's VERY hard to find somebody to install doors here, or most anything else for that matter.  Not everybody has a carpenter nephew.  I can install my own door.  I think my installer charges about 1/3 too much.  IMO he is recovering the part he has to pay HD for the hookup.  He does outsatnading work.  14 completed measures dropped on my desk just this morning.  He was behind on those too.  I have 15-20 doors in my storeroom waiting for him to install.  He's easily a month behind now.  He was six weeks behind most of the year.  If you were my customer he wouldn't care even if a little if you walked.  I'm the one that has to listen to you when I deliver the message.  I hate it, and that is why I try to keep a leash on him.  He jumped through the hoops and got HD legal.  I have begged some small contractors to do the work and offer some competition.  None have taken that step because they are busy too and don't need to pay HD a finders fee for work. 

Anyway, be as angry as you like at Lowes.  HD is doing the exact same thing.
HD has been enfuego!
(08-29-2019, 03:45 PM)NilesMike Wrote: HD has been enfuego!

They are indeed.  My Dept is crazy busy because it's fall.  I've seriously only threatened to quit once this week due to under staffing so things are looking up.  Smile
Haven't updated this thread in awhile. I verified yesterday that so far no HD store has been closed for the virus. It wouldn't be legal to share corporate numbers if I knew them (of course I don't). For those who are long, the following info is public with a little research. Stores are running shortened hours. On average they are open 3 HRs less per day, and the employees don't go home when we close early.. That may change as new schedules are made but so far no. Employee costs will definitely be up the next quarter or two. Every hourly employee got a $50-$100 weekly raise, and one to two extra weeks of additional sick leave which will be paid out in cash if you don't use it. (double leave for employees over age 65 which isn't many). That's a chunk of money.

I am going to guess they will trim forward earnings estimates, but get through this as well as a recessionary economy will allow. In normal times HD busy season starts now.
HD up nearly 60% off its lows.

WOW
(04-27-2020, 10:12 AM)NilesMike Wrote: HD up nearly 60% off its lows.

WOW

Its pretty nuts.  15% of my store's employees took off a few weeks or more off for the CV.  That's OK, but it's painful for the rest of us.  Other than temporary excessive employee costs, they are doing more than fine IMO.  One thing I know for sure is I just had my best sales day in about five months.  Mostly bored people from IL sneaking across the river... seriously.  Smile
Not like I am privvy to corporate level finance but I see my district numbers so now that earnings are posted it's nothing like insider info sharing. HD earnings were exactly what I expected. Business is nuts and very elevated employee costs to offset it. The older employees are paid full wages to just stay home for 5-6 weeks and they pick the dates. The rest of us getting 20% weekly bonuses so we won't be jealous of others that are laid off. Next quarter is Christmas for HD and Lowes. We are crushing sales. I don't believe it was intentional but this has been a big transfer of revenue from shut down non-essential small Biz to big box. Q3 and Q4 should be interesting as we have competition for shoppers dollars. HD chickened out and pulled forward guidance. I didn't expect that but probably a good idea since the stock has spiked like nothing could possibly go wrong.