Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KHC
Having lost all confidence in management, I decided to cut my losses and exit my KHC position entirely. Paired the loss with a sale/gain on LLY, then added to ADM and initiated a new position in GD. Overall portfolio income is roughly the same as what it was before the KHC cut, and the quality/risk profile of the overall portfolio feels better.

This leaves GIS on my "DGI holdings that aren't living up to expectations" list.
(02-22-2019, 11:30 AM)Otter Wrote: Having lost all confidence in management......

That is all an experienced investor such as yourself needs to say to justify moving on IMO.  I still own shares and may sell covered calls for awhile and see if I can salvage this position to some degree.  Don't lock the door behind you because I may need to get out quick Otter.   Big Grin  The biggest problem is KHC sells ketchup and cheezy macaroni.  There is just no way to grow their way out of this in a reasonable amount of time.  It's a tough spot if they were well managed.  They cut the Div to deleverage.  That kinda leaves out a meaningful acquisition.  I bet I am down 20 points on this minus the option premiums collected, so call it down 15.  I was down worse on AAPL and MO, but KHC is nothing like those stocks anytime reasonably soon.
An excellent blog post by SeeksQuality on KHC. Well worth a read for those considering whether to buy/hold/sell shares in the company.

LINK
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha
@EricL thanks for sharing.
(02-24-2019, 11:37 PM)EricL Wrote: An excellent blog post by SeeksQuality on KHC. Well worth a read for those considering whether to buy/hold/sell shares in the company.

LINK

Thanks Eric.  That is a good read.  If my memory serves, you shared a few of these points last fall, and were very skeptical of KHC.  I kept that in mind, and kept my position size reasonable.  What I never saw coming was the sudden and severe drop in a strong economy.  I admit the fact it is huge BRKA holding gave me some comfort.  They too are having a rough patch picking stocks.
Anyone have updated thoughts about KHC? Another big down day -- anyone tempted?
Sam here. Thanks for.sharing the article. Helped me not to add more. I actually sold some last year for tax hedging.
(08-08-2019, 01:10 PM)Kerim Wrote: Anyone have updated thoughts about KHC? Another big down day -- anyone tempted?

I'm beyond tempted. I have an average price of $34. I bought on the original dip which didn't end well.
(08-08-2019, 01:58 PM)Dividend Growth Investing Wrote:
(08-08-2019, 01:10 PM)Kerim Wrote: Anyone have updated thoughts about KHC? Another big down day -- anyone tempted?

I'm beyond tempted. I have an average price of $34. I bought on the original dip which didn't end well.

I'd wait at least until they file their 10Q, which is late. With their lousy credit, debt load, falling revenues and big earnings miss, I'd be curious whether the balance sheet and forecasts actually support that 5.7% yield . . .

Doubt it is going to shoot up in a hurry.

There are so many companies to choose from that are actually doing well; so I have no interest in a dumpster fire like KHC here.

It's fine as a speculative turn-around play, if you are into that sort of thing. But if I've learned one thing over the last 6 years of dividend growth investing, it's that sticking to high quality, consistently performing companies rarely fails. And buying "cheap" under-performers with poor credit ratings and declining growth rarely pays off.
My website: DGI For The DIY
Also on: Facebook - Twitter - Seeking Alpha