Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conservative option strategies, what did you buy or sell today?
(11-04-2021, 02:43 PM)fenders53 Wrote: The XOM trade was fine IMO.  Selling calls on XOM worked for years.  We never know.  I sold XOM puts the past few weeks on dips.  Over time the less volatile stocks work out.  It's a percentage of successful trades game.  

The QCOM trade was awful.  Not because it didn't work out, but the risk reward was never their.  For about 1/3% premium you forfeited the right to any real upside on the earnings announcement.  Had it fallen 10% instead you were insulated from only 1/3%.  Still bad option sell.  Something further out in duration and strike might have been better.  Hard to protect yourself from a 10%+ move.

Don't give up but maybe stick with some lower potential stocks that won't break your heart until you get some repetitions in.    This gets easier with time.

Great points. I have also been selling puts after my shares got called away (all of them expired so I kept the $$). Though with the trend, I wonder if it is actually better to hold the stock and collect dividend. My investment philosophy will still be buy & hold quality stocks while collecting dividend. 

I plan to hold QCOM long term and with their peg ratio they still have a ton of room to grow.  I now even consider buying back the call on QCOM. At least I can keep the shares and do cap loss harvesting. It’s painful!

Messages In This Thread
T puts ? - by john - 03-17-2020, 09:33 AM
RE: T puts ? - by fenders53 - 03-17-2020, 10:32 AM
RE: WEN options update - by john - 03-23-2020, 09:53 AM
RE: WEN options update - by fenders53 - 03-23-2020, 10:40 AM
RE: Conservative option strategies, what did you buy or sell today? - by Dividendwayfarer - 11-04-2021, 03:48 PM