Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conservative option strategies, what did you buy or sell today?
(08-20-2021, 11:50 PM)crimsonghost747 Wrote: Zero assignments for these monthlies. It was a close call on DIA though, I'm surprised I got out of that one alive.

I have one troublesome position: GOLD CC play. I'm not in a huge hurry with this but it's pretty obvious that this position will end up being a loss so might as well get rid of it sooner rather than later. Luckily it's just 100 shares so the loss won't be more than a few hundred $.
I decided when I entered gold to try to confine it to dividend paying miners.  I am OK with sitting on a small amount of shares long term.  At some point gold spikes and I'll have the option to get out.  There are better choices if you want to run a covered call or wheel strategy though.  I do sell calls on mine though and take the chance I could sell shares under cost.  I am down to 100 shares each of GOLD and NEM.  Both of the current positions are down 10% but I have been selling calls on any sort of a run the past year or so.  More trouble than it was worth but the positions are definitely profitable overall, and the commodity is low.  

I diversify my put sells across sectors.  It greatly reduces the chance I will have more months like this one.  I really wanted to sell many more oil related puts a few months ago because premiums looked good.  Glad I didn't.  If they all crash land here I am OK with the share % in my port.  Plus I can tell myself how good the dividends are like a sad littl dividend worshipper.   Tongue.

Messages In This Thread
T puts ? - by john - 03-17-2020, 09:33 AM
RE: T puts ? - by fenders53 - 03-17-2020, 10:32 AM
RE: WEN options update - by john - 03-23-2020, 09:53 AM
RE: WEN options update - by fenders53 - 03-23-2020, 10:40 AM
RE: Conservative option strategies, what did you buy or sell today? - by fenders53 - 08-21-2021, 07:37 AM