Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conservative option strategies, what did you buy or sell today?
Mike,
Let me know when you try it and I will at least track the trade with you.

VBIN

Regarding the bonds, nothing I said was profound. Just basics you have to understand. There are other things that move bond prices and yields. Supply and demand like always. Remember in March when the market was afraid of corporate bonds from all but the highest rated companies. FED had to step in and buy "junk" bonds until stimulus was dispersed. A scared bond market makes wild moves.

There was a time when anyone near or at retirement age was advised to be 50% or more in bonds. Committing to a 2% yield and risking loss of capital makes that an iffy plan for me and many others now. You should put a few bond funds on your watch list with varying maturity and see how they move through the cycles. TLT, 20-30 longterm corporates etc. Things change and 5-10 years it might have a place in our portfolios. If you bought long bonds in 2019 you were up 20-25% on your capital in a year. When rates are more likely to fall than rise it often works out.
Some good bond ideas here.

https://martinschwoerer.medium.com/etf-i...d6d51a3e32

Time to take off the calls on T and KO today.
(02-26-2021, 04:19 PM)NilesMike Wrote: Some good bond ideas here.

https://martinschwoerer.medium.com/etf-i...d6d51a3e32

Time to take off the calls on T and KO today.

This is structured almost exactly like "The 12% Solution"  A strategy/book I read a few years ago.  It uses a mix of major stock and bond ETFs.  I just checked in and I should have done it last year.risky th
I decided not to due to commissions which are non issue now. It's probably slightly less risky than what I am doing with the long equity component if what I am doing now.
Not option related but when you guys have time I have a new to me strategy I am trying out and would like some feedback. I know you guys are a little more analytical on this thread so I would much appreciate your opinions. It will take you a minute but I will stick with this so you aren't wasting your time. Thanks.

http://dividendgrowthforum.com/showthread.php?tid=1958
VBIN I know you roll puts sometimes. Listen to this Hail Mary. So maybe 6 weeks ago PEP hit 148 and I was pretty sure earnings wouldn't be good enough. So I sold my shares, then sold a strike 146 for some good premium. PEP steadily drops. I walk the put down every week and grab a little more premium. I get it to strike 141 in about a month. Expired today so I bought it back for $1100. Ouch I am down about $700. So I sold an at the money put in ENPH on the hard dip today for $1140. Looked real good a couple hours later when it ran and put dropped to $600. If ain't MAR 19th yet so I'll let you know. Smile I like ENPH but damn it's volatile lately.
Glad it worked out for you. I got a MO call assigned today. That bring my MO position to less than I want. Will be selling puts next week for 3/19.

Watch out. It's gonna be volatile and 3/19 is TW. I think we can see a lot of selling and roll forwards.
(03-06-2021, 01:35 AM)vbin Wrote: Glad it worked out for you. I got a MO call assigned today. That bring my MO position to less than I want. Will be selling puts next week for 3/19.

Watch out. It's gonna be volatile and 3/19 is TW. I think we can see a lot of selling and roll forwards.
I won't hold it to EXP if it pops some day next week.   This is first week in awhile I have rolled much.  I will just own ENPH if necessary.  I'd rather have more premiums while they are this good.  The green narrative will be with us awhile.
TW week is usually very bullish, week after-quite bearish.
(03-06-2021, 07:46 AM)NilesMike Wrote: TW week is usually very bullish, week after-quite bearish.
I'm still keeping my finger on the buyback trigger for these puts.   When I get a chance to lock in a 50% profit in days it's going to happen.  This market is obviously nervous.  My PEP income attempt trick seemed low key.  I had no idea it would pullback 20 points.  I could have been holding long shares like I have for years so no real harm done yet.  Unless ENPH drops 25pts from here in 10 days.  I don't rule that possibility out.
(03-05-2021, 10:30 PM)fenders53 Wrote: VBIN I know you roll puts sometimes.  Listen to this Hail Mary.  So maybe 6 weeks ago PEP hit 148 and I was pretty  sure earnings wouldn't be good enough.  So I sold my shares, then sold a strike 146 for some good premium.  PEP steadily drops.  I walk the put down every week and grab a little more premium.  I get it to strike 141 in about a month.  Expired today so I bought it back for $1100.  Ouch I am down about $700.  So I sold an at the money put in ENPH on the hard dip today for $1140.  Looked real good a couple hours later when it ran and put dropped to $600.  If ain't MAR 19th yet so I'll let you know. Smile  I like ENPH but damn it's volatile lately.

And the $1140 put is worth only $99 just five days later so I just closed it.  Probably expire worthless actually, but then again ENPH price range swing has been $50+ the past few weeks.