Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conservative option strategies, what did you buy or sell today?
(05-16-2020, 05:49 PM)fenders53 Wrote: And here is another trick that you might find handy at very specific times.....

You are assigned stock XYZ and it's say $26 and you are in at $28 basis.  The short-term story changed and you are down some and you are now very bearish on the stock.  The closest call is at $30. 15%+ out of the money and the premium is very weak.  You immediately sell the shares and then sell a put at $25 which has a good premium as it's close to the money.  You now have some downside protection without bailing on the stock and conceding the loss.  I did this quite a few times in early MAR when the virus hit.  It was pretty clear which stocks were heading lower.  This is NOT something I do with my core DGI holdings.  Just the income game stocks, which I own very few of in this economy.

I'm not following this Fenders.

Put stock @28, now trading @26. Sell the shares? Trade over, a loser.

Sell a new put @25? New trade. May be a winner or a loser. Irrelevant to the earlier put that was assigned.

I have a couple of friends who do significant amount of "defending" a trade. Rolling down and out etc. There are no repairs to be made. Each trade stands alone, the only connection is the ticker symbol.

I want to be clear, Rolling locks in a loss on original trade and places a new trade on the same underlying, there is no repairing of the earlier position.

Messages In This Thread
T puts ? - by john - 03-17-2020, 09:33 AM
RE: T puts ? - by fenders53 - 03-17-2020, 10:32 AM
RE: WEN options update - by john - 03-23-2020, 09:53 AM
RE: WEN options update - by fenders53 - 03-23-2020, 10:40 AM
RE: Conservative option strategies, what did you buy or sell today? - by NilesMike - 05-17-2020, 09:44 AM