Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conservative option strategies, what did you buy or sell today?
(02-20-2019, 10:08 AM)Kerim Wrote: Do you guys track your options performance in any formal way? If so, how? I figure it is easy enough to track the return on any individual trade, but across trades where a small percentage of the puts you sell are exercised, how do you determine overall return? Seems you can only measure against hypotheticals ("well, I would have bought it at X, so the fact that the shares were put to me at Y, and commissions were Z, so I gained / lost Q....").

Not formally, but I compute the ones that are exercised and I am almost always selling puts a few percent out of the money so that number will always be cheaper than if I just went long at time of put sale.  Mostly I just look at i.e. "I just bought MO or KHC for $300 above current market price".  I like to beat myself up and contemplate if I made a bad decision on the company overall, but it's short-term of course.       

As far as the strategy the number I watch is the monthly income it generates.  Lately I have about $100K committed to the strategy.  Monthly income from option sales, after subtracting any I may have bought back for whatever reason is my return.  Commissions subtracted of course.  Goal is 2% monthly profit, or $2000 just from options.  These are covered so the collateral is drawing about 2.4% annual while it's idle.  I've been under the goal a few times.  I've also had months that exceed $3500.  Several times in the last 6 months which I am thrilled with that as it blows away my dividend income on a percentage basis.  Even 1 1/2% would be acceptable accept during an extremely strong bull market year when just being long is better.  This mostly ends during a prolonged down market as you now own the stocks long.  A little cover call writing happens then if it makes sense.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Conservative option strategies, what did you buy or sell today? - by fenders53 - 02-20-2019, 10:32 AM
T puts ? - by john - 03-17-2020, 09:33 AM
RE: T puts ? - by fenders53 - 03-17-2020, 10:32 AM
RE: WEN options update - by john - 03-23-2020, 09:53 AM
RE: WEN options update - by fenders53 - 03-23-2020, 10:40 AM