Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
401k rollover - "final" portfolio building
(02-12-2019, 12:46 PM)DividendGarden Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 12:24 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Very sound advice from Otter IMO.  A method that forces you to buy at fair value or less is good, and accept the fact some will likely never become attractive short of a very severe market.  It's OK to invest in a few dozen quality stocks and move assets to others over time as they enter the buy range.  At this stage of my life commissions are $2 and mutual fund expenses on most of my Vanguard offerings are .04% annually so it is practically a rounding error vs individual stocks unless your stock trades are absolutely free.

Thanks, mate.  And same on the commissions, they're really a non-issue and I've got no problem paying a ton of them over the next few months as I execute this.  Over the next thirty years, there would be zero commissions!

Depending upon how you handle the rollover, you can probably get a set number of free trades for X number of days/months after the rollover.

Also, if you are fortunate enough to have more than the SIPC insured limit of $500K, consider splitting amongst various brokerages. The supplemental insurance that they carry in excess of the $500K SIPC limits typically is not enough to cover all of their clients for 100 cents on the dollar if the brokerage has a total meltdown.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 401k rollover - "final" portfolio building - by Otter - 02-12-2019, 01:01 PM