Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
401k rollover - "final" portfolio building
This is somewhat analogous to the strategy I am using in my taxable accounts, and intend to continue using when I rollover my current 401k to an IRA someday. You are likely to match the performance of the market as a whole, without incurring the fees/expenses associated with funds.

That said, you might give some consideration to a valuation-based approach to your purchases, staging them over time. Whatever is not deployed into equities of fair or better value can be parked in short-term fixed income to provide a safe income stream while you wait for value to develop. Set a target P/E, Chowder Number (this incorporates both current yield and growth prospects), Credit Rating, DGI history (years of historical consecutive raises), and Dividend Payout Ratio threshold for your purchases (your baseline for fair value). Buy DGI stocks on your list when they are at or better than your value target. Continue to collect income from the remaining bulk of your nest-egg parked in short-term fixed income, and deploy as additional stocks on your list hit your value targets. This will keep you from purchasing stocks that are probably hugely overvalued and paying a historically low yield. Buy more income at a better price later. There may be a handful on your target list of 100 that never reach your value target. No big deal, considering the total number of holdings you are contemplating.

Also, consider further reducing your risk profile by having a long-term target for portfolio income allocation across all eleven GICS sectors. They don't need to be equal-weighted. It is probably safer to allocate more of your total portfolio income to stocks in sectors like Healthcare, Consumer Staples, Telcos, and Utilities, than Materials and Industrials.

Also, if you intend to keep all of these securities in a traditional IRA without having a Roth Ladder scheme, consider having an overall portfolio yield target that (hopefully) meets and exceeds your RMD requirements once that kicks in. Don't want to have to start selling off parts of the goose if the market happens to be in a slump when your RMDs kick in.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 401k rollover - "final" portfolio building - by Otter - 02-12-2019, 12:02 PM