Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The perfect 2019 port, a contest of sorts....
Love this idea!

I'm going with: AAPL, BUD, GOOG, MO, VER.

Personally, I don't think it harms the game if there is a fair bit of overlap among the portfolios. Each person has to strategize whether and how to stick with the herd or depart from it!
OK, unless one of my favorite but overpriced stocks blows earnings the next few weeks and gets real cheap, here is what I am going with.

AAPL
HD
NEE
UPS
RQI

I am shorting HOG.

The short was the hardest pick. After the recent correction, 10 1/2 months is a LONG time to short a stock that pays a dividend. I like Otter's strategy, but unaware of many likely to cut their dividend. I don't see HOG running enough to wreck my port return.
Okay,

I like this!!

My quick pick 5 is but I might change before the dead line are

AAPL
XOM
MO
GILD
JNJ

Okay, the short was really hard so I'm going with a company that won't kill my pick 5 by going up too much

CPB

Edit: removed AOS (even though I like it a lot for accumulation--added GILD--for two years in a row I picked GILD, but this year I picked AAPL at Roadmap2Retire's contest)(removed ALB and added JNJ, same thing with ALB like it a lot) Trade wars, the wall, talks about 2020, uncertainty, I just think it's going to be a choppy year.
Here are my entries,

T, HSY, DWDP, ALLY, CAH

Interested to see how this goes, still working on figuring out if I'm evaluating these stock correctly.
How are everyone's picks doing after one quarter? Used Portfolio Visualizer to generate the data below https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/backtest-portfolio:

[Image: y6FSFb3.png]
Thanks for bumping this. That is a neat site. I may need assistance posting it here. I think most of us are doing well. I am at $11,092 if that includes today with AAPL and HD big moves.

AAPL
HD
NEE
UPS
RQI

Binary grabbed some dirt cheap QCOM so we may be chasing him all year. Smile
(05-01-2019, 03:59 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Thanks for bumping this.  That is a neat site.  I may need assistance posting it here.  I think most of us are doing well. I am at $11,092 if that includes today with AAPL and HD big moves.          

AAPL
HD
NEE
UPS
RQI

Binary grabbed some dirt cheap QCOM so we may be chasing him all year.  Smile

Yup. Binary is running away with it right now. Here's what I've got for the top 5 a quarter in:

1. Binary $11,925
2. Kerim $11,189
3. fenders53 $11,092
4. DividendGarden $11,052
5. Otter $11,028

Nobody has lost money.
(05-01-2019, 04:26 PM)Otter Wrote:
(05-01-2019, 03:59 PM)fenders53 Wrote: Thanks for bumping this.  That is a neat site.  I may need assistance posting it here.  I think most of us are doing well. I am at $11,092 if that includes today with AAPL and HD big moves.          

AAPL
HD
NEE
UPS
RQI

Yup. Binary is running away with it right now. Here's what I've got for the top 5 a quarter in:

1. Binary $11,925
2. Kerim $11,189
3. fenders53 $11,092
5. Otter $11,028

Nobody has lost money.
Heck no we haven't lost any money Otter.  Bunch of pro investors.  That's why I come here lol  You are up over 44% annualized.  I'm thinking about hiring you to run my port.  Smile  Seriously though, SPY would be right up there with us most likely.  We'll see who's picks can survive a beat down because that month is coming before 2019 is over.

It's way too early but we'll have to add dividends 4X last quarter. I've got one 8% yielder. That's gonna put me over the top. OK probably not Smile
(05-01-2019, 04:26 PM)Otter Wrote:

AAPL
HD
NEE
UPS
RQI

1. Binary $11,925
2. Kerim $11,189
3. fenders53 $11,092
5. Otter $11,028

Nobody has lost money.

LuckySmile cool I actually own those names since then. AAPL and HON were also bought around that time and made nice returns too. I regret not buying APD
I think we might own most of our picks.  I own all of mine except UPS which is still on the watch list. I picked up RQI a few weeks before we started. I have a very long list of stocks I wish I had purchased a few months ago. Apparently the market didn't think they were as over-valued as I did. Note the current leader board has all of us within 1%. Only a quarter but I wouldn't have expected that. I guess it illustrates what diversification across sectors accomplishes. Imagine trying to be a MF manager and out-perform your peers with at least 100 stocks.